Gig flow question

Henk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have had this blue gig now for about a year and a half.
Before the gig was getting a lot of flow but was kinda getting its “skirt“ blown in all directions. Now it is getting a bit less flow, since I never seemed to be able to find a good sweet spot.
The anemone is now lying a bit flatter, And when comparing to older photos I notice the tentacles are also a bit shorter. The anemone never showed the very long tentacles I see on some specimens here on the forum .
I wonder if maybe I should put some more stones so it can attach it’s disk better and increase flow again. Now is is sitting between 3 stones but the disk is quite large (I guess over 16 inched) so maybe not sufficient for good attachment? However also a bit reluctant to change too much since it has never moved from the spot where I first put it one and a half year ago...
Hoping to get some advice. Change needed, or leave as is?
Here below some photos. First pic now, the other photos are older pics.

BB064679-A2A3-411A-87A0-3B01A847F1EF.jpeg
EC456B00-C004-402F-8C01-555639EDA51F.jpeg
E1878301-A06D-4E59-9AEB-1C3DDE70EE11.png
78F3B810-3588-4C8A-9F71-6F309F6C46A0.png

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but with what experience I do have with gigs they usually dont like to jist lay flat. Mine likes to stick to the side of a rock where it also gets support feom sand or rock below.

To visualize this, there are two rocks that create an L shape and the gig is attached to the corner and it points at a slight 45 degree angle.

This could be a factor is how flow affects it. I would think that if you have it flat then its easier for flow to get under the disk whereas if it were slightly angled, it would be less so.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From my limited experience, it seems that Gigs do best when they saddle up so they can direct water flow over their mouths to assist in waste expulsion and prevent internal rot.

Long tentacles are also a sign of a happy Gig, though the difference in short tentacles on a healthy and sick gig are probably more important to decipher from (seems like yours are still relatively long and stringy). Since you've had yours for some time, I'd assume the shortened tentacles are more of a sign that conditions can be improved.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back