Gigas Grow Out Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter hart24601
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The container is 7.5 inches
BDFC56C3-6321-4354-A814-88FBD0F0D3EF.jpeg
Kinda green, cool!
 
I got in one of the smaller clams initially at 2 inches, 2 1/4” max. It’s now 4.5” so it has doubled its size if not a bit more!

I wanted to put it next to a ruler since I have found clam estimates are like fishermen, have to add about 50% to the size when guessing, haha.

44884E29-9D20-4B4A-B8B8-8D10F094339A.png
DAB53DA5-A043-4D7C-AD4B-347321EA97A9.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Mine is so large now you can't see the "denti moore beef stew" holder from the top. My little one is now gone. Bleached him last week.

20200912_130522.jpg 20200912_130540.jpg
 
It seem all of us who got two Gigas lost one the last year.
 
Any of you have issues like this on your gigas? I think my cleaner shrinp is snacking on him. Looking better today. Last week it was so bad pepperment snails were eating him. Only fish are clowns and blond naso and they leave him alone.

20201011_162236.jpg
 
Any of you have issues like this on your gigas? I think my cleaner shrinp is snacking on him. Looking better today. Last week it was so bad pepperment snails were eating him. Only fish are clowns and blond naso and they leave him alone.

20201011_162236.jpg
Not sure what that is. May be a bite from something but I am not sure.
 
Any of you have issues like this on your gigas? I think my cleaner shrinp is snacking on him. Looking better today. Last week it was so bad pepperment snails were eating him. Only fish are clowns and blond naso and they leave him alone.

20201011_162236.jpg

Absolutely!! Cleaner shrimp can wreak havoc on a Gigas. Mine would spend hours at night picking at the base of the mantle. It would irritate the clam so much it wouldn't open all the way up for days. Just add it to the many creatures that can't be kept with a Gigas.
 
Any of you have issues like this on your gigas? I think my cleaner shrinp is snacking on him. Looking better today. Last week it was so bad pepperment snails were eating him. Only fish are clowns and blond naso and they leave him alone.

20201011_162236.jpg
I think a fish took a chunk out of him
 
Crazy it’s already been a year. My gigas is pushing 7-8” I’m getting to the point where he needs to move out of the display due to shading of sps corals and put him in its own tank. I’m going to hook up a 15 gallon to the main display and am wondering what light you all would recommend for a gigas only tank? Not needing wide coverage just light for the clam
 
The white plastic container is 6.75" corner to corner. I would he is 8.5" wide now. Night pic after he closed up.
20201106_215558.jpg
 
Mantel is over 8 inches. The top of the container is 7.5 inches. Too short for the clam so I have to fill it with sand to get the clam above the rim. The shell is about 7 inches.
BD14A962-4D2D-4D0B-8CA6-5D123AB3B135.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new