Give me the BEST thing you've figured out about your Husbandry

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don’t plan on doing water changes, having the ability to do a 50% water change is a wonderful safety net for your investment when things go bad. For a large tank this can take quite a bit of planning and space to accomplish

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don’t plan on doing water changes, having the ability to do a 50% water change is a wonderful safety net for your investment when things go bad. For a large tank this can take quite a bit of planning and space to accomplish
Yup I have a 55 ga. Drum cycling SW, an auto water changer and a hose bib attached to my hard plumbing just in case I need a large emergency water change one day but I don’t don’t do water changes. And I’m not all unnecessarily ULM. No apex/Neptune. I just do auto top off and do everything else by hand. The key is in the tank designs. In part the display tank has to be the tip of the iceberg. The sump should be at least close to half the water volume if u want ultimate stability. I learned that from these forums before I ever bought a single piece of equipment and my parameters are always so balanced it’ll tick some of y’all off lol

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not telling my wife house much any of this stuff costs. Happy wife, happy life.
Maaaaaaan I wish I seen this months ago. My Wife knows ALL the prices lol and I bet if I wasn’t super successful at all this then she’d be highly upset cuz I’ve spent at least 4K so far(half new half used equipment plus livestock)

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience and stability. Pick one salt and stick with it. Always rinsed my sand before use. Dont fear phosphate and nitrate. Read and ask as many questions as you can and find a group of people you can bounce ideas off of as well as a reef buddy you can count on

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I struggled with the NO3/PO4 balance

Phosphates have no place or purpose in a tank, so those need to be as close to zero as possible

Nitrates on the other hand seem to make my zoas/palys happy if I can stabilize NO3 at 5-10ppm.

But how do you get PO4 to zero and have NO3 at around 10ppm? Traditional export methods seem to reduce/eliminate both at the same time.

I'm now a user of Lanthanum Chloride to remove PO4 only.

It works really well

Ive lost more corals to ultra low PO4 than I have to AEFW :)

I agree that 0.1 is getting a little high but I also start to panic when I go below the 0.01detected mark.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back