Presentation on Mandarins - Give me your fun facts!

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my coral reefs class (as an engineer it's a nice GPA boost especially being so deep into the hobby) we are doing presentations about a reef organism so I chose the mandarin dragonet mostly because of the one I have been nursing back to health. Give me your best fun fact about them or something I HAVE to have in the slideshow!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true hunter!
IMG_0553.jpeg

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my coral reefs class (as an engineer it's a nice GPA boost especially being so deep into the hobby) we are doing presentations about a reef organism so I chose the mandarin dragonet mostly because of the one I have been nursing back to health. Give me your best fun fact about them or something I HAVE to have in the slideshow!
I wouldn't say "best" fun fact, but they have a slime coat compared to scales and their coloration is used to warn off predators into thinking they are poisonous, when they are not.

Also, good for you for taking some non-engineering courses befor eyou graduate.

GPA boost or not, it helps in keeping you well-rounded and getting a well deserved break from the rigor!

I took entomology and sports fitness during my engineering undergrad. Still collect and mount insects over a decade later!

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish my school had a class like that. were even on the coast and al we get is maritime. which is almost useless unless you're learning basic skills.
I didn’t even know it was an option until I talked with a professor I work for in the biology department who has 7 tanks in his office

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say "best" fun fact, but they have a slime coat compared to scales and their coloration is used to warn off predators into thinking they are poisonous, when they are not.

Also, good for you for taking some non-engineering courses befor eyou graduate.

GPA boost or not, it helps in keeping you well-rounded and getting a well deserved break from the rigor!

I took entomology and sports fitness during my engineering undergrad. Still collect and mount insects over a decade later!
I knew about the mucus coating because I thought mine had died one night (I bought him so malnourished I just thought that was it) but found out they excrete more at night and turn whiteish. I did not know that they had no scales tho I’ll be sure to add that!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew about the mucus coating because I thought mine had died one night (I bought him so malnourished I just thought that was it) but found out they excrete more at night and turn whiteish. I did not know that they had no scales tho I’ll be sure to add that!
The slime coat is also incredibly noxious and unpalatable. It's the same defense mechanism clown gobies use.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it will at whatever collage I go to.
Check out all the random life sciences courses wherever you go. I randomly found entomology by doing just that.

The college I went to was heavy in engineering as well as agriculture, so no shortage in those "intro" classes.

Either way, I highly recommend taking intro courses outside of your study of focus for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out all the random life sciences courses wherever you go. I randomly found entomology by doing just that.

The college I went to was heavy in engineering as well as agriculture, so no shortage in those "intro" classes.

Either way, I highly recommend taking intro courses outside of your study of focus for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread
Oh yeah for sure, it’s nice to get a break from the calc and physics side of things, and get more of my reefing addiction!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back