GJ's 50 Gallon Sumpless Reef

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch some design/landscape architecture videos on youtube. They might be more specific on ways to arrange a 3D aquascape than I can give. I really just got lucky that my rocks fit together nicely, although it did take 2 full days almost lol
Yeah I'd say it's not luck if you spent 2 days on it. That said, if it's live rock you probably wouldn't want to spend 2 days putting it together, right? Wouldn't it die if it was out of the water for too long? But yeah you're right...I should at least watch some videos to get some idea of what I'd be doing.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quote from my main tank build thread: "Although I generally lack the creativity and artistic vision required to make a rock-scape look good, I was able to consult my dad on the matter and he helped make the arrangement look nice. I made somewhat of a cave for the clownfish, as much of one as I could make while making the rocks look good as well. Yeah, my dad is a landscaper so he is good at this sort of thing."

Lol, so that's what ended up really happening. I'm going to try to get pictures up tomorrow. Also here is the thread for my tank if you didn't know: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-saltwater-tank-40-breeder.584895/page-5

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, of course, I didn't do anything fancy with a hammer and chisel or epoxy or anything like that. Just tried to place the rocks nicely.

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated pictures!

2x Black Photon Clownfish
1x Yelowbelly Blue Tang (1.5")
1x Banghai Cardinalfish

FTS
IMG_2433.jpg

Black Photon Clown
IMG_2434.jpg

Bob Marley Zoas, Acan Echinata, war coral favia
IMG_2435.jpg

Brain Collection :)
IMG_2436.jpg
New frogspawn!
IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

Micromussa Frag
IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notes:
Had ALL 7 of my my Acros die while I was away for 2 weeks, as well as my kole tang and firefish :(

Black photon clowns nearing full adult coloration :D

Added tiny blue tang to keep until he reaches 4-5 inches, then he is off to my friends 300 gallon display tank

Took out a large amount of LR (and turned it into refugium rubble) to try and have a more minimalist aquascape

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Do you know what caused the problem? Did you have a tank sitter?

Yeah, it wasnt totally their fault. I had an outbreak of velvet that happened to occur while I was gone and would have set up a hospital tank if I was around. Im still not exactly sure why the acros died, but it probably wasnt helped by the young age of my setup (and the poor health of the fish), which was only 3 or so weeks along at that point. Anyways, I have a test acro that has been doing well and growing so I think ill start slowly adding more as the tank matures.

Dub_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there is only so much your average tank/house sitter can do. In the past, I've had somebody from my LFS as my tank sitter. Helps that they experience dealing with this type of stuff. Good luck as your tank matures.

I ran a sumpless 38 gallon bowfront for almost 3 years before upgrading. I've found that my old tank required more of my time but I also didn't mind it so much.

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! and same here, no matter how much I dont feel like doing wc's sometimes, cleaning the sand bed, etc, I always end up enjoying it

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 105 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back