Glad to be back

1995reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started what I thought was reefing in 1992.The hobby was so new.I'm also a Scuba Diver and wanted the reefs I was diving in my Home.55 gallon + saltwater fish and 50 lb of Pacific Rock.I felt so bad with the amount of Carnage I caused to the saltwater community.One day I took 2 of our 5 children to the fish store.So while I was looking for new victims.i heard from around the corner " Dad killed 2 of those and 3 of that kind and remember that one was upside down". I never brought any of them again.I don't remember how buti found that fish forum during the (ping) years before Windows 95 and AOL.There was a fellow I think his last name was Jackson but not sure.He talked about cleaning the water of Proteins and how to build a homemade Protein Skimmer.PVC pipe and air stones lots of air stones also stuff like Nitrates,Nitrites ect.So the sun started to shine for me and reefing.By 1995 I had a 250g in my finished basement wall a great Recliner better then bacon,Veg City.I lost count of how many cups of coffee spilled on myself it so just so peaceful.We moved from Long Island NY to Maryland in 2005.I rented a UHaul IT just for my Tank,water,rock ,coral,fish and equipment.Brought it to MD. for safe keeping in my inlaws garage.We had a month of school left for our kids and my wife (teacher).About 2 week had pasted when my father in law called and said the garage smelled like the ocean with dead fish.I raced 350 miles to find my chiller was history.Just 1 Clown fish survived and the rock.So when we moved I to our new home ,I had room picked out and lots of outlets for power.As it turned out Dr. Mac & Sons for you older reefers was 10 miles away its Pacific East now Dr.Mac great guy still there .The next 6 years were wonderful. September 2012 one day before my daughter wedding and house full of family a reefers nightmare happened.That morning I woke to my granddaughters screams there's water on the floor.As ran down the stairs I Know my reef party was over and the 1 inch of saltwater on the oak floor shimmering in the morning sun.All the years of my 400 MH's got the best of the Tank the glass cracked right down the middle.Luckly my son that works in the area know a reefer that know 2 other reefers,I gave them everything.It has taken my LOVE years to get over that day( she was never a fan of sealife like me).Now after 7 years and a new plan I think I have convinced my love,if i get a 250g horse basin (lots of farms here )I can build a stand inside to hold a 150g nicely in my upstair computer room.My wife did say if something goes wrong well a good lawyer was mentioned in passing.Anyway I'm looked at Sc Aquarium any advice also LEDs$$$ how long do they last,still love MH .well back to a hole new science .So So happy to be Back WOW.All advice welcomed

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are glad to see you back on the hobby!!!

r2r-gif-welcome.gif

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @1995reefer
It’s awesome that you’ve joined us here at Reef Excellence,
& provided a history of your reef keeping adventures, or should I say nightmares. ;)

Never mind, many of us can relate to your story.

But never fear, after you have mastered the art of reef keeping
your wife will be singing the praises of all the people who helped you get there -
the super friendly,
super awesome
super positive, and
super knowledgeable, smart & clever participants that frequent this forum.

You won’t get any bad or misleading advice around here.

C U round the Reef

Steve :)

1581108357931.png

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many can say they were there when it all got started!

Anyhow, at least your kids are old enough now to not talk about the fish you killed in the pet store.. lol.
Any grandkids? I'm sure they'll be happy to embarrass you if you slip up ;Shamefullyembarrased

spockwelcome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back