Glass (24x20x12) vs acrylic (24x24x12) tank?

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is mostly a personal decision. I'm also aware it's been beat to death somewhat. Pretty much searched most major Reef forums before posting this.

Considerations: i built a 24x24x26 stand many years ago and never had a chance to put it into use. Its solid and finished well. I plan on using this stand. The caveat is after framing and skinning my max internal dimensions are 18x18 x18 with an opening in the back around 16" high. The only door opening is 14.5"x14.5".

So without having a custom sump built I plan on utilizing a 9.6 gallon rimless glass tank as my sump.

I really like the look of a 24x24x18 to 24x24x24 size tank. However I feel due to sump size and water change volume, i am planning on staying around the aio nano size of 20-30 gallons.

I discovered deep blue aquariums no longer available when I started calling around last week (was going to go with their rimless 24x24x12).

So basically after scouring the internet I'm down to either a innovative Marine 25g lagoon ext (24x20x12) vs a modular Marine acrylic tank (24x24x12).

I never owned acrylic but have done paint work before so the idea of buffing out scratches isn't an overwhelming fear.

They are basically the same price.

Im 25g lagoon ext:
-low iron glass
-fully external overflow (lacks included cover)
-black background already in place

Acrylic modular Marine
-acrylic
- included modular Marine overflow is low pro and has nice included cover and plumbing

The tank is going next to our couch, as one primary viewing location will be from the couch.

The stand planes out with the top of the couch's armrest.

My wife and I have a 1 year old who is on the couch regularly but always supervised.

I feel the acrylic is better insurance against a catostrophic panel failure vs glass with a kid but will get scratched easier.

I also do not like giving up 4" of display with the im 25g tank making it possibly look somewhat weird on the 24x24 stand.

Thoughts?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the acrylic. Much more impact resistance from the "love pats" of your little one! Safer for all of you! I love acrylic and used to manufacture a complete line of standard and custom tanks. They are very strong, light, and forgiving.
Enjoy.

OP
OP
S

Sayn3ver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I know I shouldn't base such a decision on kid(s) but it is a factor considering the tank's location. If we had a larger home id probably keep it in an office or section a small room off in the basement if I had one.

I have been reading that original mr. Clean magic erasers are good for daily panel cleaning on the wet side.

I'm going bare bottom regardless so hopefully the acrylic doesn't get beat up to fast. I already own some novus cleaner and polish as I use it on my cheap plastic fishing sunglasses and other plastic items.

While both are not exactly cheap, the decision is less stressful at this scale than say a larger setup. At the very worse case scenario, I opt to switch out the tank down the road for glass if the acrylic just isn't working. I've had older aga glass tanks scratch so it's not like glass is impervious.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back