Glass box of motion

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God this hobby can be aggravating lol. I'm just posting to vent so bear with me. Been battling amphidinium dinos for a few months, most recently by fighting with Si to grow some diatoms to compete. Got more than i bargained for with diatioms and a boat load of cyano to boot. Hit the tank with chemiclean and the dinos came back worse with growth on the rocks where as it was just in the sand before (maybe its more cyano idk). Tank looks ugly as hell. Parameters look excellent:
Temp 76*F
N03: 5ppm
Phos: .04ppm
Salt 1.026
pH 8.4
kH: 7.9
Running 15% blues 0% white

Even funnier, is that my corals look AWESOME despite all the sludge growing around them. I'm seeing polyp extension like crazy, great colors, and my zoas are spreading nicely lol. Fish are all happy too. I have two clownfish in QT looking across the room like "You're not moving us in there til its clean right?"
C0E39E86-EC5A-4C78-9F8F-4ED2346DDF28.png

8D2B98DF-A1F5-44E4-B72E-0415AD93394D.jpeg
I've done blackouts, Dr. Tims, H2O2, MB7, syphoning, boosted the CUC all to no avail. A small BTA was my only loss. Thinking about dropping the Dino X hammer since I only have LPS and softies. But before that may do a reboot tonight with a 20% water change and syphoning out as much as I can (I know water change is just gonna feed the dinos, but at this point they have all the nutrients they could want anyway so what's the difference? Also gotta get the chemiclean out), follow up with some more MB7 and 3 days with no lights (not a full on blackout), I'll leave the growth I have on the glass, and continue the silica dosing, see where I'm at, pray, and maybe drop the hammer.

I'm also going on vacation in March for 4 days, my in laws will feed, and my buddy who is a reefer is going to check in on the tank for me, but I'd love to get some improvement before then.

ugh….am i just going nuts? Missing anything?

E7899471-5F98-487B-BCEC-01575E195646.jpeg

4D60498F-1129-460B-813A-A67D4B64C247.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about a fairytale, or something like The Ugly Duckling.
It’s growing coral, parameters are brilliant, and you are focused upon the shorter range ugliness of the baby tank. I’m going through this with a younger fish tank. Every time I clean it there are less uglies that grow on the glass but I can’t keep the glass clear, so far. I added a few pieces of live rock to improve the genetic diversity of the microbes and can not wait for the tank to grow up and the slimy creatures to fade away.
The ugly duckling has to be ugly for season before it grows feathers and flies and then you can forget that it once looked like it does now.
Highly suggest placing food rations in a one bag for each day arrangement to regulate the food inputs while you are on vacation. Have fun on vacation and forget about the tank while you are enjoying vacation. Gl!

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, vent away man.
But... question... what do you have for a clean up crew? I think iI see a cleaner shrimp but I would have tons of hermits etc stirring up that sand getting it clean....

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, vent away man.
But... question... what do you have for a clean up crew? I think iI see a cleaner shrimp but I would have tons of hermits etc stirring up that sand getting it clean....
Hermits, ceriths, dwarf ceriths, astraeas, nassarius. They have no interest in the dinos or cyano.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits, ceriths, dwarf ceriths, astraeas, nassarius. They have no interest in the dinos or cyano.
Hm fair enough, I'd confirm they're alive and kicking, cut back on feeding and take a look at flow, beyond that. I don't have enough experience to tie something down.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back