Glass cover or acrylic cover?

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 20 gallon acrylic tank from Seaclear that has a eurobrace with an opening in the top center of about 17" X 6". I just have an acrylic panel cut to the size of 18" X 7" and just cover the opening so fish would not jump out. I also placed my Radion XR30 Gen 4 on top of the acrylic cover for lighting.

Well, I have noticed that there is a slight warping to the acrylic cover even if it is about 4 mm thick.

So my question is: Should I replace the acrylic cover with a glass cover to prevent the slight warping of the acrylic cover?

Also, can the glass crack due to condensation from the water and heat from the Radion light? The Radion is propped up on 4 legs made out of 1/2 inch pvc pipe cut to about 1.5 inch to provide underside ventilation for the Radion.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a mesh cover on instead - better light penetration and allows for better gas exchange

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump for this 20 gallon so gas exchange is sufficient fron the skimmer and return pump. I also have 2 power heads and there is a 2 inch opening in the back left Eurobrace area.

Also, the water level to the Radion fan is only about 6 inches. Using a mesh cover would allow vapor to be sucked into the Radion fan since it is a Gen 4 Pro version.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use egg crate. Cheap and effective

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be the best idea, I've used the mesh ones made as reptile lids, The mesh tends to rust extremely quick.
Not a metal mesh, the plastic filament mesh. Several people make these. One of them is Kraken lids, made from polycarb and a plastic mesh. Look them up, it's a veterans owned business.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to a hardware store and look for DIY fly screen for windows. you can get nylon or aluminum mesh.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%

Back