Glass damage

  • Thread starter Thread starter toosmoose
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

toosmoose

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Red Sea reefer 350 G2. Noticed this chip in the glass that must have happened in transport. Am I screwed? What should I do. It isn’t full thickness. It’s a chip.

IMG_5808.jpeg IMG_5806.jpeg
 
For perspective.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5810.jpeg
    IMG_5810.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 56
given the track record of red sea tanks, especially second hand tanks, no matter the size of the chip i would not trust it. even more so that is is in the bottom front seam.
 
So I’m just out of a tank now?
 
Is there anything I can try?
 
So I’m just out of a tank now?
Unfortunately, yes…. That chip is right along the seal in the highest pressure area….

If it wasn’t a Red Sea tank… I’d recommend getting creative with a glass patch and living with the ugliness; but the silicone itself that holds these tanks together is utter garbage!!!

Red Sea tank failures are a dime a dozen… just search around here…

Here’s my Reefer 450 G2 with its multiple failing seams for context….

IMG_6607.jpeg
IMG_6608.jpeg
 
It’s your home so your risk. But I wouldn’t dare trust it.
 
Is there anything I can try?
Short of fully disassembling the tank to glass panes, removing all the old silicone, and rebuilding it using a custom jig, and a replacement glass pane for the chipped one (I just got quoted $673 for 3ft2 of 3/4” starphire glass!!!); the tank is junk sadly…
 
Here is my issue, he sold me the tank with fish and corals. I need to house these guys or they are screwed. I might just fill, get the fish in and then look for new tank. is that insane?
 
Here is my issue, he sold me the tank with fish and corals. I need to house these guys or they are screwed. I might just fill, get the fish in and then look for new tank. is that insane?
Get a big plastic bin or big plastic trash can from your local big box hardware store; it isn’t as appealing but will make a great holding tank!

You don’t want to fill this aquarium with water… cleaning up glass shards is no fun, and you never get them all!!
 
T, if it were mine, I would fill it with fresh water outside and let it sit and if it held water use it as a QT Tank but only say 1/3 to 1/2 full. I also have a basement so no big disaster if I had a spill.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new