Glass Lid - Rimless Aquarium

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All -

I have a 120 gallon 48 x 24 reef aquarium and I'm trying to cut down on evaporation.

Has anybody used a glass lid for a rimless tank? Did you need to get it custom made?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered polycarbonate lexan plexiglass from Amazon. Cost was around 70 bucks for 1/4 inch think and 48x24 inch sheet of the lexan plexi. The rimless 10mm tank mounts for the lid too readily available on Amazon. Ordered a pair of self adhesive plexi knobs for handles to lift the lid off the tank from you guessed it Amazon. Lastly I ordered plexiglass jigsaw blades so I am pretty set to construct the lid next week. I chose polycarbonate lexan over regular plexi because the lexan will resist yellowing over time under the LED lighting. The additional plexi I trim off the sheet should suffice for a center brace if needed. If you need a parts list and links on Amazon feel free and I'd be happy to post them.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, my 125 has three 1/3" thick glass pieces and my 110 has two which is almost 1/2". That's a lot of weight and each is supported on all 4 sides. I accidentally broke one and replaced it with plexiglass that is much lighter but also bends and dipped into the tank. I'd suggest plexiglass attached to supports like from a rigid plastic. You can get plexiglass custom cut at most hardware stores. Than maybe attach this to these: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/rimless-screen-top-frame-corners-niche3d.html

Edit: Should have mentioned my tanks are rimmed

Last edited:

Torqu3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a top made for my Tideline 20gal AIO from Kraken Reef.com

They were easy to deal with, and lid came in 2 weeks. Can have custom cutouts for cords and anything else you need. Would def do business with them again.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
dpoltsdsu

dpoltsdsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered polycarbonate lexan plexiglass from Amazon. Cost was around 70 bucks for 1/4 inch think and 48x24 inch sheet of the lexan plexi. The rimless 10mm tank mounts for the lid too readily available on Amazon. Ordered a pair of self adhesive plexi knobs for handles to lift the lid off the tank from you guessed it Amazon. Lastly I ordered plexiglass jigsaw blades so I am pretty set to construct the lid next week. I chose polycarbonate lexan over regular plexi because the lexan will resist yellowing over time under the LED lighting. The additional plexi I trim off the sheet should suffice for a center brace if needed. If you need a parts list and links on Amazon feel free and I'd be happy to post them.
This is extremely helpful and sounds very similar to what I'd want to do. If you would be so kind to post links for these parts Id greatly appreciate it!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a top made for my Tideline 20gal AIO from Kraken Reef.com

They were easy to deal with, and lid came in 2 weeks. Can have custom cutouts for cords and anything else you need. Would def do business with them again.
+1 for kraken reef. I have to admit that I balked at the price when I first saw it, but I was given a kraken lid as a father's day gift and it is REALLY nice. Much nicer than the diy I made for myself. Can't go wrong with kracken reef.

I believe they make inserts to prevent evaporation too.

I learned the hard way that certain clear plastics drastically impact par and others don't. I had a glass lid that had negligible impact on par. I forget which material it was that I went with (plexiglass, lexan, leucite, etc) but the one I picked cut par by 50%.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is extremely helpful and sounds very similar to what I'd want to do. If you would be so kind to post links for these parts Id greatly appreciate it!

Links won't display in post! These product descriptions should work in Amazon search. Best of luck.

1) Aquarium Lid Clips Universal Lid Clips for Rimless Aquariums Rimless Clips/Fish Tank Glass Cover Clip Support Holder/Fish Tank Brackets Clip Hanger 10mm

2) Mirart 1¼ Pull Handle, Self Stick Round Acrylic Mirror Beveled Knob (2 Pack)

3) BOSCH T102BF 3-Piece 2-5/8 In. 13 TPI Clean for Plexiglas Bi-Metal Jig Saw Blades

4) Polycarbonate Lexan Sheet Clear 0.250” - 1/4" (6 mm) 24" x 48" - Thermoforming

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I caution against using a glass lid for a saltwater aquarium due to keeping excess heat in and preventing important gas exchange among other reasons. There’s a reason why most use an open lid or a lid that is not completely sealed. An open lid allows for more air to flow through and Kraken Reef makes some great products or you can make your own/order a DIY kit.

Last edited:

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good info here--

Good information. The clear Lexan I purchased was UV coated on one side to prevent yellowing. I'll try the Lexan out first before moving to plexiglass since the Lexan supposedly is stronger and less likely to crack while cutting or drilling. The information supplied to me was seemingly wrong (does not yellow) but looks to be that the UV coating on the treated Lexan prevents yellowing.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caution against using a glass lid for a saltwater aquarium due to keeping excess heat in and preventing important gas exchange among other reasons. There’s a reason why most use an open lid or a lid that is not completely sealed. An open lid allows for more air to flow through and Kraken Reef makes some great products or you can make your own/order a DIY kit.

Wouldn't this (sealed lid) matter or not matter depending on whether a sump or protein skimmer was used? I have never seen a "completely sealed" tank though I suppose air tight sealing a tank with a sump might pose a problem with water draining from the tank to the sump. With protein skimmers and sumps that are open I'd think there might be plenty enough gas exchange?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wouldn't this (sealed lid) matter or not matter depending on whether a sump or protein skimmer was used? I have never seen a "completely sealed" tank though I suppose air tight sealing a tank with a sump might pose a problem with water draining from the tank to the sump. With protein skimmers and sumps that are open I'd think there might be plenty enough gas exchange?
I mean it definitely depends I just wouldn’t and there’s a few articles/videos on it. Here’s one: https://reefbuilders.com/2015/05/20/the-pros-and-cons-of-using-a-marine-aquarium-cover-glass/

caddnima_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried plexiglass but it bowed so bad because of moisture. I went to lowes, bought their glass and cut it myself. Although I have a lowboy, but the dimensions are the same to what you posted.
IMG_20220712_181330_970.jpg

caddnima_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from my research, cast acrylic is what is recommended because it handles moisture very well, and with less bowing. But it will become too expensive for me, so I ended up using the Lowes glass for 13$ each and I need two. I also 3d printed some clips to handle the glass, I want the glass sloped so the water moisture will run down the pitch.
20220713_084810.jpg
20220713_084853.jpg
20220713_084900.jpg

Kraken Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you only make nano lids or are you able to make custom lids as well for a 120? I'm looking for a lid for my 120 with inserts to prevent evaporation
Our focus is on nano aquariums. There are a few exceptions where we can go larger. If it is a rimmed tank, that 120 should not be an issue. If it's rimless, shoot us some of the info and we'll see if its within our logistical limits.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back