Glass tank bowing

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If the brace is pulling away from the back then yeah its pretty serious.

Does anyone know if CustomAquariums.com can make him a top frame to his dims to brace it back up????

This is what I'd do while waiting: I'd lower water level and add some 10-12 ft 2x4s along the front & back with multiple clamps spanning the width of the tank; say one every foot.

After you've got it all clamped up you can refill then tank, but before clamping you'd have to drop water level to like 25%.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is a 12'er ,i would lower to 6" ,because current braces need to be loose to pull back the 3/4" then reattached along with a few more. jmo..

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
this is a 12'er ,i would lower to 6" ,because current braces need to be loose to pull back the 3/4" then reattached along with a few more. jmo..

Once water is lowered you wont need to pull it back.

The glass should be nearly not deformed with water that low.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt anyone here can give you more than speculation.

Time to search your area for some experts to come physically inspect it.

Tough call bc it will be hard to find an honest person to come out to do an inspection without seeing dollar-signs on repairs.

Obviously you're a person of means (given the pic's of your contemporary place) ....that might view the situation as a cash-cow.

I would definitely not let an expert under the age of 50 come out, imo. This needs a salty veteran who has already made his fortune and is more likely to "give it to you straight" at a non-gouged price if repairs are needed

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good luck with that, you really need to consult the manufacturer or tank fabricators.

That too.

The tank being 1-1/2 year old; is it under warranty? Did you reach out to the manufacturer, that should have been your first step.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once water is lowered you wont need to pull it back.

The glass should be nearly not deformed with water that low.
Just guessing silicone is still intact but stretched,not going to just pop back..?? op has the builders to reach out to.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. 425 gallon tank that's almost 12' long. Measurements are 144"x22.5"x31" starfire 3/4" glass.
I noticed the braces have moved feom the back so when I measured the middle of rhe tank is bowing. It's bowed out in the middle close to 3/4". All the seams are intact. Need help to know if this is a ticking time bomb or if it can be repairable or it's normal.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get (2) 24 inch clamps. place two of them in the position best suited to support the bow.

Placing wood blocks on both sides, tighten the clamp to take up the slack, but do not try to bring the bowing back into place. This will support the tank and prevent it from failing.

This will buy the time you need.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a tank builder, but when you say 3/4" bow, is that the bow in the front panel only or is it the total width (front to back of the tank)? If the latter, is the back bowing also. If so, each panel is only bowing by 3/8". Still a problem, but better. My rimless frag tank, for example, is about 1/2" wider in the middle than on the ends but both lengths bow so the deflection on each long side is only 1/4". When asked years ago, the tank maker said that was normal .... and the tank has not failed.

I would definitely be putting some pipe clamps (with pads) on that tank; then solicit the advice of the manufacturer. My understanding always was that the sheer strength of silicone is not all that high, so if the braces were just attached to the top tank rim, not surprised they have started to tear.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a tank builder, but when you say 3/4" bow, is that the bow in the front panel only or is it the total width (front to back of the tank)? If the latter, is the back bowing also. If so, each panel is only bowing by 3/8". Still a problem, but better. My rimless frag tank, for example, is about 1/2" wider in the middle than on the ends but both lengths bow so the deflection on each long side is only 1/4". When asked years ago, the tank maker said that was normal .... and the tank has not failed.

I would definitely be putting some pipe clamps (with pads) on that tank; then solicit the advice of the manufacturer. My understanding always was that the sheer strength of silicone is not all that high, so if the braces were just attached to the top tank rim, not surprised they have started to tear.

I was surprised at all the dooming in here with no mention of this..

My smaller crappy tanks have always bowed if they didn't have a center brace.

My 10G, 20 long and 40 B (all aqueon) would bow in the center by 1/8 to 1/4 an inch. I read all around that it was normal and that glass is able to take a small amount of flex. None of the tanks failed. If you scale that up to 12 feet, I would think 3/8 an inch from both panes of glass is in that range.

That said, if the braces are clearly whacked, I would be concerned.

And I wouldn't trust anything to not look perfect when it comes to 425G of water lol

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

My 10G, 20 long and 40 B (all aqueon) would bow in the center by 1/8 to 1/4 an inch. I read all around that it was normal and that glass is able to take a small amount of flex. None of the tanks failed. If you scale that up to 12 feet, I would think 3/8 an inch from both panes of glass is in that range.

And I wouldn't trust anything to not look perfect when it comes to 425G of water lol

All good and I have 5 bowed 40Breeders but the OP clearly stated that the cross brace has separated from the back wall.....and that's where the concern is.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In addition to what @BZOFIQ mentioned above, I believe the OPs thicker glass has less give than the thinner glass on the tanks you mentioned. Maybe @Joe Glass Cages can weigh in on this particular subject?

Commercial (mass market or custom) aquariums can definitely explode even after years of normal operation. Just YouTube it.... will give you nightmares!

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised at all the dooming in here with no mention of this.
LOL .... these threads do attract their fair share of the sky-is-falling crowd. Of course, sometimes the sky IS falling. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

In this case, it's hard to interpret lay person reports and pictures are often hard to make out. I think you plan for the worst and hope for the best .... and contact the tank builder.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a suggestion for the op. Lower the water to releive the stress causing the bow.
This appears to be an in wall build, so use either marine grade, sealed and painted 2x6 wood or the newer 80/20 tee slot aluminum to build an external frame inside the wall to reinforce the glass. Honestly i would have done this from the beginning. The length of the glass shouldnt really be an issue, vs height. Your tank isnt really that tall. So pressure isnt as much.

Here is a link to the t-slot. I feel this is your best option, as you can get the rectangle one and frame the perimeter of the tank, then run cross bars front to back.
"T-Slot Structural Framing Profiles - Grainger Industrial Supply" https://www.grainger.com/category/m...ng-systems/t-slot-structural-framing-profiles

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to what @BZOFIQ mentioned above, I believe the OPs thicker glass has less give than the thinner glass on the tanks you mentioned. Maybe @Joe Glass Cages can weigh in on this particular subject?

Commercial (mass market or custom) aquariums can definitely explode even after years of normal operation. Just YouTube it.... will give you nightmares!
hmmmmmm...it's tough to give direction. minimal details except we have 3/4" glass that is bowing and the cross-braces have been moved or something. if the tank has been altered from the intended build for structural strength as intended by the manufacturer, this could be less than favorable for this tank. 3/4" glass bowing is really not something I find acceptable. My nerves just can't handle it. Typically a manufacture will error on over building for safety. Thats our rule of thumb.

Without a thorough inspection of the situation, it's hard to offer an exact assessment and a course of action. So, because we don't have the luxury of onsite inspection, its best to error on the safety side of this situation. Thats what everyone on this thread is offering as suggestions. And I totally agree. BE SAFE!

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos were awful lol , awsome 12 foot 3/4inch starfire...with sloopy brace work??? ...question the whole tank build , check the side seems for silicone integrity bubbles ect , put in a single 4 foot 1 inch brace .two 1/2 pieces stacked is fine..just my 2 cents everyone

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos were awful lol , awsome 12 foot 3/4inch starfire...with sloopy brace work??? ...question the whole tank build , check the side seems for silicone integrity bubbles ect , put in a single 4 foot 1 inch brace .two 1/2 pieces stacked is fine..just my 2 cents everyone
Yes 48in wide

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back