Glass tank build? I can help!

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using 2" triangles installed 1/4" down from the top and drilling 3/8" holes in the back 2,one for top off spicket and the other for fill float. The 1/4" recess is to support the lid. The glass shop in town sells tinted glass I'll have to stop in and check the brand. Thank you so much for staring this thread and responding I'm really looking forward to following and participating

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using 2" triangles installed 1/4" down from the top and drilling 3/8" holes in the back 2,one for top off spicket and the other for fill float. The 1/4" recess is to support the lid. The glass shop in town sells tinted glass I'll have to stop in and check the brand. Thank you so much for staring this thread and responding I'm really looking forward to following and participating

You're Welcome.
1/4 for the height you require would be a bit delicate. There is this personal thing against the use of Tempered glass coz its brittle at the edges. I never use Tempered for any of the tank, irrespective of the size. But in your case you up the thickness or use Tempered. Tempered would add a bit cost to it, easier would be uppin the thickness up to probably 3/8th to make it rock solid. If you can find a plastic store who could fabricated a top solid acrylic lid for you with grove in it to match the size of your tank. This will eliminate glass lid, recesses and would add up strength to the tank. One solid piece of acrylic with groove would sit right on the top of your tank. If you know am saying? Also acrylic would bring life to the ATO coz of them colors.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a vidio on youtube called bulletproof reef keeping and the speaker mentions hybrid glass and acrylic tanks. They look real nice

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a vidio on youtube called bulletproof reef keeping and the speaker mentions hybrid glass and acrylic tanks. They look real nice
I guess those tanks are different from what I'm trying to say here. Because they use bottom as plastic.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the bond is srtonger if the edges are ground and polished. Is that because the bevel gives the edge more surface area? I bought some 1/2 inch glass and im shaping and polishing the edges myself (mistake) can i skip the polishing on the bonded edges?

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the bond is srtonger if the edges are ground and polished. Is that because the bevel gives the edge more surface area? I bought some 1/2 inch glass and im shaping and polishing the edges myself (mistake) can i skip the polishing on the bonded edges?

Not because of the bevel, but flat surface.
You can't precisely shape and polish the edges to perfection by hand. You need your glass supplier to do it on their automated polisher. What size tank are you building?

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a 3'x3'drop off 24" front. Half and 18" back half. I bought the front and 2 sides from glass cages (1/2" low iron) ive been grinding and sanding with diomond blocks to sqare,dimension and bevel. Im planing on bracing the bottom. And hoping to go rimless on top

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a 3'x3'drop off 24" front. Half and 18" back half. I bought the front and 2 sides from glass cages (1/2" low iron) ive been grinding and sanding with diomond blocks to sqare,dimension and bevel. Im planing on bracing the bottom. And hoping to go rimless on top

A custom drop off is the next tank I want. Do you have a build thread? This sounds cool

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m holding off on starting a build thread till I have all the materials could be 3 months could be a year. I’ll post picks of what I have after work

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5321F977-EF4F-4918-B71D-41182C20AA53.jpeg
24D93FB9-FFAC-4AED-A2DC-721F45A236E4.jpeg

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were supposed to be 9” drop but the supplier goofed and shipping was to much to justify sending them back. Definitely buying the rest from local glass shop beveled and polished. one piece at a time

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes that would be perfect. Use scs 1200 or rtv 100 series for best strength, caulk i mean. Clean the edges with denatured alcohol, use latex gloves while assembling it. Mask it and skim it to form a nice seam.
Good luck

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the structural seams are perfect and without air entrapment ya could get away with inner fillet.
Them seams on a 650 gallons, glass is 3/4 in thick.

Edit: won't allow me to attach a video file

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TherealplexiG do you have any guidance on spacers for glass aquariums? While I have built plywood tanks with glass fronts I am considering a glass sides for a future setup with a wood/fiberglass/epoxy bottom. While I know that spacers are needed I have never seen a good guide or chart that recommends spacer thickness and placement on glass on glass seems based on glass thickness and tank height.

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TherealplexiG do you have any guidance on spacers for glass aquariums? While I have built plywood tanks with glass fronts I am considering a glass sides for a future setup with a wood/fiberglass/epoxy bottom. While I know that spacers are needed I have never seen a good guide or chart that recommends spacer thickness and placement on glass on glass seems based on glass thickness and tank height.

Please elaborate. I don't understand what exactly you mean by spacers?
If I assume correctly, you mean you wanna build all glass tank with a plywood, frp based bottom. If so what's the purpose of it rather than having a glass bottom?
Spacers for caulk where two glass panes meet?
I could be wrong understanding the question

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please elaborate. I don't understand what exactly you mean by spacers?
If I assume correctly, you mean you wanna build all glass tank with a plywood, frp based bottom. If so what's the purpose of it rather than having a glass bottom?
Spacers for caulk where two glass panes meet?
I could be wrong understanding the question

Spacers for caulk where two glass panes meet would be what I am looking for guidance with.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back