Glass tank build? I can help!

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your glass thickness and height? Is it braced or non braced aquarium?

Have not designed the tank yet since it would be a future build but it would be braced. Glass height would be 36" Low iron glass 3/4" thick or 48" Low Iron Glass Tempered 3/4" thick. Overall tank length 96"-120" and a width 48"-72".

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not designed the tank yet since it would be a future build but it would be braced. Glass height would be 36" Low iron glass 3/4" thick or 48" Low Iron Glass Tempered 3/4" thick. Overall tank length 96"-120" and a width 48"-72".

You're spot on glass thickness. Most of the glass drop offs have bottom bracing. It helps in a way but not much. What I'd suggest is you could have a low profile aluminium bracing on the top so it's doesnt bother the aesthetics as well as accessibility while maintaining structural integrity.
But that being said, these types of tanks require some professional skills or I assume you would be handy and would be able to pull it off with some technical assistance.
If the above aren't your options I strongy recommend that you go with an acrylic tank.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're spot on glass thickness. Most of the glass drop offs have bottom bracing. It helps in a way but not much. What I'd suggest is you could have a low profile aluminium bracing on the top so it's doesnt bother the aesthetics as well as accessibility while maintaining structural integrity.
But that being said, these types of tanks require some professional skills or I assume you would be handy and would be able to pull it off with some technical assistance.
If the above aren't your options I strongy recommend that you go with an acrylic tank.

This would just have be standard rectangle tank and not a drop off. There were a couple of different questions being asked on this thread. I decided to jump in with the glass spacer question as I have not made tanks with glass on glass connections. I believe that I have the skills needed to build a tank this size its just a matter of taking the time to design a proper structure along with taking the time to build it properly. I am not a fan of acrylic as it scratches really easily opposed to glass. I also want to build these tanks so that if needed I can disassemble them and move them which is not possible with an acrylic tank unless it is cut apart. I am still years away from building these tanks but I have been trying to refine the design over time so when I am ready to build I will already have a plan and be close to a final design.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for you @TherealplexiG I was thinking about a glass AIO wall/kit for a standard 20 long or 10gal.
the wall will be simple almost square glass with one side a bit lower for the water to flow in to the baffles. do you think this would work for a weer or do I need some type of surface skimmer?
I would drill for the return pump.
just playing around with ideas.

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for you @TherealplexiG I was thinking about a glass AIO wall/kit for a standard 20 long or 10gal.
the wall will be simple almost square glass with one side a bit lower for the water to flow in to the baffles. do you think this would work for a weer or do I need some type of surface skimmer?
I would drill for the return pump.
just playing around with ideas.
I think you should be good.

ChuGGa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/16th is too much, it comes to 1.5+ millimetre. You need 1 mm for that size to make a rimless tank, 12 mm glass thickness (1/2 inch).
The more near glass panes the more stronger bond, but taller you go there is need for more flexibility.
Hi, I understand this is an old thread although I find it very interesting. Would you have an available table/chart outlining the gaps between panes for different size tanks? I’m about to build a tank L1830xD800xH760 and 12mm glass. I have a box of Soudal silly AQ also I’m going to use, now I’m confused at the gap of silicone. I’ve seen a few clips on YouTube and they say 2mm gap is good. Could you tell me how much gap is sufficient?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back