Gloves vs. bare hands for maintenance

New to a reef system, have always used bare hands in my planted tank. That said, infections are a real issue. A man I used to fish with spent a month in the hospital (a good part of that in ICU) due to an infection he got while baiting a hook - almost lost his arm (the "flesh eating bacteria"). I lucked out with my anaerobic infection. Got to the Dr and my BP was 70/50, but the drugs he gave me worked well and fairly quickly - was fine in 2 days. Best friend from grade school spent a week or two in the hospital with his anaerobic infection. While I can only guess what cause our 2 infections - pretty sure it was working around livestock.

For me I was working in a chicken coop, then later that day took a fall and bruised my shin. Next day my boots rubbed on the bruise. Was barely conscious day 3. I always suspected it was a combination of the dirty pants and the hard strike on my shin - but it is possible the rub of the boots is what broke the skin barrier.
 
I wear gloves when handling and moving rocks/corals. It keeps my clowns from biting me and keeps whatever is on my hands out of the tank. I see too many things I don't want to touch when I check out my tank at night.
I’ll put on gloves to change filter floss cuz bristles sometimes end up in there.
 
if i were to be grabbing and moving rocks all around sure wear gloves but to just simply dip your hand in why in the world would someone put gloves on. such a waste of time. unless you have open cuts, no need. to glue a frag down, or move some sand, or grab a coral, no reason for gloves. only needed if grabbing rocks which could have something on there that may cut ya.
 
I use calving gloves with a rubber band up around my bicep/armpit. I also use powder free examine glove over the top of the calving glove and I also put a rubber band around it at my wrist..
This is the best combo for gloves that I found to work for me.
I do marine maintenance so my arm is in water quite a bit. If I don't use them I break out with a rash..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new