Go Fallow or start over?

dontbuyxenia

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2021
Messages
95
Reaction score
268
Location
Athens GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I just had an outbreak of ich in my tank and am losing fish fast. I lost a flame angel and clownfish today, and likely a purple tang and cleaner wrasse soon. Quite frankly I am furious. I am wondering if it would just be easier to tear down the tank and dry the sand and rock out to start over rather than going fallow for 2.5 months. The tank has been set up for 10 months so I hate to destroy the established environment but I feel that if I tear the tank down, I could be putting in fish in maybe only a few weeks rather than months. Plus I have heard that some fallow cycles don't work. I only have a few corals in the tank that I dont mind getting rid of. anyone else ever been in this situation? Feeling frustrated.
 
I don't think it would be "easier" at all to tear the tank down, clean everything, put it back together and cycle again. It seems like a lot of work just to save a few weeks.

You're also making it rather clear that you will skip QT and so its very possible that ich will make its way back into your tank. Repeating the same actions as before will give you the same results.
 
I’ve never qt anything ever. But I will stare at a fish in lfs for 30-40 minutes straight. But I also have a super quality lfs.
 
I'd say don't try to rush.
Just doing whatever to add fish again as soon as possible is a policy designed to let you fail again very quickly.
Instead let the tank go fallow and use the "down time" to set up a QT and treatment system for the new fish so you can have a better chance to avoid catastrophe in the future.
 
I appreciate the replies. I don't QT because I live in an apartment and I have to keep my tanks to a minimum lol. Also, I have kept saltwater for about 10 years and have had only one other outbreak like this and it was many years ago. Now, however, I would definitely never do that again. I do want to get fish back soon and I was thinking of ordering from Dr reef since they have a pretty good QT regiment. Anyone have luck with them?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new