Go LARGE from the Start

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first salt water tank and I have decided to go LARGE.... Not as Large as some other Beautiful tanks posted on R2R, but still my Pride and Joy ;)

The tank was established in October 2012 with very little to None knowledge of reef keeping to me. Dave from Vivid Aquarium were the builder of this tank. They have set it up from the beginning and gave me many months of lessons on how to deal with the reef.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Dave is checking out the area for the plumbing...

5.JPG

Checking out if the Tank is leveled

We have decided to go with the 6 Radions Gen2 and installed 2 fans inside the canopy to help with ventilation

7.JPG

Oops... its getting late here on the west coast;Singing. To be continued .....;)

6.JPG

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Can't wait to see this come together. Congrats on the new tank! I wish I'd have listened to everyone's advice of going big to start. Woulda saved me some $$. Lol. Went from a 6 gallon aio, to a 29 gallon biocube, to a 90 all within about 2 months. Had to go back to an 80 after some tank issues with the 90 (acrylic seam seperation). If I weren't upstairs, would definitely be going bigger.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large tank is way easier to keep than a small aquarium.
Maybe you are right, I would not know, since never had a small reef tank, but I can assure you that managing a 280 gal SPS dominated reef tank is not an easy task ;)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you are right, I would not know, since never had a small reef tank, but I can assure you that managing a 280 gal SPS dominated reef tank is not an easy task ;)
It's easier and more expensive. Looks like a great start!

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it is easier, I started with a 20 Gallon FOWLR then a 55 FOWLR->Mixed Reef. Now I am refurbing a 180 Gallon. A bit concerned about it. Never had a Sump Before or a Protein Skimmer. I guess we will see I should have every ready in 2 to 3 Weeks.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Be continued ....
Hello Reefers,

Forgot to give you the measurements of my tank:
It is 280 Gallon Tank
72 x 30 x 30 inches
sump holds about 50 gal of water
As seen on the picture below, there are 2 Reeflo pumps: one is for return and another one is for close loop with ocean motion device.
JBJ Arctica chiller 1/3 HP was installed next to the tank ( further moved outside of the house due to heat generation).
Dozing was decided for CA, Mg, Alk via Bubble Magus dozing pump.
Skeemer - Super Reef Octopus 3000 ( later, added an additional Bubble Magus curve 9 skeemer)

That's pretty much covers the equipment and technical parts.
8.JPG

The whole family was exited to see the new "furniture" in the house :) , even the dog was supportive and let strangers do the job.

8a.JPG

10.JPG
11.JPG

Finally we have finished with aquascapping, added about 3 inch of sand and filled it up with the water.

Tank is cycling...... and I am off to bed :)

To be continued.....

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Can't wait to see this come together. Congrats on the new tank! I wish I'd have listened to everyone's advice of going big to start. Woulda saved me some $$. Lol. Went from a 6 gallon aio, to a 29 gallon biocube, to a 90 all within about 2 months. Had to go back to an 80 after some tank issues with the 90 (acrylic seam seperation). If I weren't upstairs, would definitely be going bigger.

I feel your pain... and can't even imagine going trough soo many changes in such a short period of time.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it is easier, I started with a 20 Gallon FOWLR then a 55 FOWLR->Mixed Reef. Now I am refurbing a 180 Gallon. A bit concerned about it. Never had a Sump Before or a Protein Skimmer. I guess we will see I should have every ready in 2 to 3 Weeks.

Good Luck!!! Looking forward to see a new great built!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before moving into a Patio house I had 3000 gallons of SPS tanks in my basement. I went down to a 40 gallon AIO. So I kind of know of what a speak. [emoji3] I have been keeping aquariums for 54 years now.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before moving into a Patio house I had 3000 gallons of SPS tanks in my basement. I went down to a 40 gallon AIO. So I kind of know of what a speak. [emoji3] I have been keeping aquariums for 54 years now.

54 Years... That's impressive... I don't have as much experience as you do. I am still a learner :) and every opinion or advise is valuable for me.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time files when you are having fun.:) I started keeping fish when I was 10 years old. When I got my first house in the 80's I go a big tank a 55 gallon saltwater. I collected tanks over the years Running an aquarium club you get tanks given too you my people. I just started hooking them together till I had a whole basement full of them. The larger volume of water makes changes in water chemistry happen at a slower more stable pace. When you have a small volume of water things happen with in an hour instead of 24 hours. Stability is the key to a reef aquarium.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any new photos? :)

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow love the tank and dimension. i wish i would have gotten a bigger tank at the start. the only good thing is when i sell everything off the smaller tank usually pays for everything i need on the bigger tank. and then the fun start again in filling the tank.

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I am also a fan of Vivid Aquariums YouTube channel.

OP
OP
RussiReef

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I am also a fan of Vivid Aquariums YouTube channel.
Dave , owner of Vivid aquariums is very knowledgeable and friendly person . He thought me a lot about keeping a corals.

Back