Gobi selection

timocean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

for some reason our son is crazy about Gobis, so we plan to buy one or a pair for our 120g. Any suggestions for some which keep the sand clean, but don’t bury corals, create mountains or distribute the sand allover? I heard Valenciennea puellaris would be good in that respect. Is that true, or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks, timocean

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Diamond gobies bury corals.

All sand sifter gobies may bury corals, it is part of what they do. Spit sand around and spit it on things they don’t like… like that frag.

Depending on personality, some are worse than others.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

for some reason our son is crazy about Gobis, so we plan to buy one or a pair for our 120g. Any suggestions for some which keep the sand clean, but don’t bury corals, create mountains or distribute the sand allover? I heard Valenciennea puellaris would be good in that respect. Is that true, or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks, timocean
IMHO, Valenciennea shouldn’t be kept in tanks less than 6’ that have shallow sand beds and aren’t aged. Valenciennea get the majority of their food from the sandbed which is why they sift. They won’t be able to thrive off of Prepared unless fed 6-8 times a day, 9-10 times being best.

Sandsifters that don’t pack such a big punch are Koumansetta hectori and Koumansetta rainfordi. Both of these will clean your sand bed and IME, K. hectori loves Cyanobacteria.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back