Gobstopper morphing?

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
299382F7-A177-44FB-9D58-9057092183CA.jpeg
9EDC04D6-A38E-4014-B0E1-0E61E8D9F62D.jpeg
I’ve had these Gobstoppers for years and have two different colonies growing in different tanks. This colony started over growing my little no-name bright skirt zoas. I just noticed today when I turned the lights on that some of the Gobs have developed some of that hot pink in their skirts. Anyone else see Gobstoppers do this before?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of debate on this subject. I thinks it’s possible corals can somehow transfer colors when they touch but many with more knowledge than me will say they can’t. I’ve seen a lot of examples from people but nobody ever proves it. I suspect that anyone that does know how would never open their mouth.

I had a pipe organ coral fall on a green Hollywood stunner chalice. The area that was in contact now has a green glow while the rest of the coral just remains white. I had a purple acan plug fall on top of a orange Florida ric and now it has some orange in it. In fact all the new heads it grew now how this light orange banding. Maybe the orange was always going to come out, I have no way to prove otherwise.

It seems to me if this is possible it surrounds the idea of not only the corals touching but they need to do a little damage to each other which maybe is how the colors leave one and go to the other.

OP
OP
MyLittleReef

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe so. In this case, they are growing right over the top of them.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have def seen people show this happen with zoas growing together. There was somebody who was cutting them in half and kinda splicing them together with some success. I’ve seen some people do that with mushrooms as well.

Are yours producing new polyps showing different colors or do you have some older polyps that are now taking on some new color?

OP
OP
MyLittleReef

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell, it looks like it’s taking place more in the center of the colony of Gobstoppers rather than on the edge. When they are all closed up I see the little bright skirt zoas sparsely mixed between them and I don’t doubt some have been overtaken by the Gobs. Don’t purple & nuclear deaths do this sort of thing? Only thing is, the size difference is so great that the little bright skirts may get choked out if I don’t separate some on their own rock.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting how one coral can win out and sometimes they just play nice together. I saw a thread from a while back where the poster believed some of the wild jawbreaker shrooms were picking up the red green and purple colors from being in contact with zoas. That the wild shrooms were almost always on rock with zoas and would even grow right on top of the zoas. He believed some this altered the shroom giving it new colors that could also be transferred to any new baby shrooms.

I dunno but it’s interesting and keeps me searching and looking for what’s going on in people’s tanks.

OP
OP
MyLittleReef

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a closer look at my other ones to see if there were any changes going on there. A single,
7D087613-0E9C-4CBA-BC72-45019ECF4F2E.jpeg
hot pink tentacle on a Sunny D is there.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that might be some pigment that fell off the other zoa and is just laying on the others lash? I have seen some of my corals release pigment when disturbed or brushed against something. You could try blowing that sunny D and see if the pink pigment comes off.

OP
OP
MyLittleReef

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5155A3E0-1BF5-416C-A2E5-703046399E89.jpeg
56620BDE-4324-4D16-9F3F-8E89D815D96E.jpeg
I just gave them a good turn with a turkey baster. The pink tentacle tucked up with it and when the sunny d reopened, it was still there and I found a second polyp with pink tentacles too.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. See if you can keep an eye on these spots for a week or so and see if they stay pink. I’m fascinated by this kind of stuff and all too often these threads just end without answer. I’m curious if these are the start of morphs, time will tell.

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthellae are the organisms responsible for many of the colors we see in corals, I don't see why these organisms couldn't enter into a new coral, find a good environment, and sucessfully colonize the new coral... This is definitely something I'm going to start thinking about more carefully..... I have always wondered if name brand lineage starters had some kind of major hook-up with distributors where they got first dibs on EVERYTHING that came in, or if they somehow figured out a way to "add color" to "ugly" specimens.... I'm thinking about some of CB's lineages and maybe there is something to "in vivo" coral transfers...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back