Goby Burrows

Reefer_2711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced two yellow watchmen gobies to my tank and the smaller one has made a burrow but the larger one wanders around the tank. Is this normal?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago were they added? I've had a yellow watchman gobie wander for a week before pairing with my pistol shrimp. Sometimes they will make their own burro other times they will take over an empty one.

You don't need a pistol shrimp for the gobies but it's a fascinating pairing to watch.

OP
OP
Reefer_2711

Reefer_2711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've been in there for 3 days, and I'm pretty sure they now are in the same burrow. Do I have to add a pistol shrimp soon?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In aquariums neither one has predators, so they don't need each other to survive. If you want them to display natural behaviors and a little less stress they should be paired up together. Again it's not an absolute necessity.
I don't think you need to rush to add a shrimp. But if you decide to get one just releas it near the gobies home and they may pair up quicker.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby isn’t very good at digging. That’s why it pairs up with the shrimp, but if none are around it will use what’s available for shelter.

OP
OP
Reefer_2711

Reefer_2711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they found each other today and are living under the same rock. I think I'll wait to add the pistol shrimp. The larger watchmen goby frequently goes out of the burrow to find food, while the smaller one waits for it to come by.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paired Gobies will share the same pistol shrimp so no need to worry about needing one for each. If there a mated pair sharing the burrow with a shrimp is a cool pairing that I would like to see in my own tank someday.

OP
OP
Reefer_2711

Reefer_2711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, once I see a red banded pistol shrimp I'll be sure to grab it. Here's a picture of the big one.

IMG_0484-preview.JPG

Back