Goby has gone MIA, help!

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also say check your overflow very good and is your tank sealed? If not, he could’ve jumped as everyone else stated. Do you have pets? Cats or Dogs? If so and if he jumped, he’s lunch.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be able to get out on his own. As I said, if he got into a hole, he can get out. Observe from afar. If the fish is still in the tank, let it settle in. And you should try not to stress too much. This hobby can drive you to drink if you let it! Wait... Now where the heck did I put my wine glass? :)
There's no possible way that he could've gone rug surfing, so he must be somewhere in the tank. He's probably under the rocks from when I moved them around looking for him. Hopefully he'll come out soon.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be able to get out on his own. As I said, if he got into a hole, he can get out. Observe from afar. If the fish is still in the tank, let it settle in. And you should try not to stress too much. This hobby can drive you to drink if you let it! Wait... Now where the heck did I put my wine glass? :)
It's now day 4 and he hasn't shown himself or any signs of being alive. I'm worried that he was under the sand when I put the rocks back into their place and accidentally crushed him. The thing is I don't want to disrupt the tank trying to see if he's alive or not. Should I wait a little more?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses will stay buried a lot longer than 4 days, but I've never known a diamond goby to hide without at least a peak out of its hiding place during that time. I've only owned 3 over the years, so you may have a very shy one. All my diamond gobies settled in within a few weeks and I always caught sight of them within a week. I'd be very sure that the fish didn't jump out of the tank, that it wasn't in the overflow or the sock, or the sump, etc., before disturbing the rocks, but if you REALLY feel strongly that you buried it under a rock, then check. It really is your call. If you did put a rock on it, (they usually scoot away before that happens), I wouldn't expect it to have survived, sorry.

You don't have any other fish in the tank that could fit the goby in it's mouth or bite a chunk out of it and kill it do you? Sometimes fish you wouldn't expect can turn rouge. I had an algae blenny bite the back of a red scooter blenny so bad that it almost cut the scooter in half. They had lived peacefully together for years. The scooter died a few days later after the attack.

Last edited:

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamondback goby and I got him around 2 weeks ago. He’s been missing for a day, I took out all my rocks just to make sure he wasn’t trapped under anything and I searched the sand bed to make sure he wasn’t just hiding but I had no luck. I put back all the rocks and looked behind the tank and he wasn’t there either. Where could he had gone? Is it possible that he was hiding in the sand and now I trapped him?
Diamondback Goby, Jumpers.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses will stay buried a lot longer than 4 days, but I've never known a diamond goby to hide without at least a peak out of its hiding place during that time. I've only owned 3 over the years, so you may have a very shy one. All my diamond gobies settled in within a few weeks and I always caught sight of them within a week. I'd be very sure that the fish didn't jump out of the tank, that it wasn't in the overflow or the sock, or the sump, etc., before disturbing the rocks, but if you REALLY feel strongly that you buried it under a rock, then check. It really is your call. If you did put a rock on it, (they usually scoot away before that happens), I wouldn't expect it to have survived, sorry.

You don't have any other fish in the tank that could fit the goby in it's mouth or bite a chunk out of it and kill it do you? Sometimes fish you wouldn't expect can turn rouge. I had an algae blenny bite the back of a red scooter blenny so bad that it almost cut the scooter in half. They had lived peacefully together for years. The scooter died a few days later after the attack.
95% of the tank is covered, and that 5% is where I have my thermometer and pumps. At this point I think he passed, but I'll check under the rocks just in case. If he isn't there then RIP

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I firmly believe fish can see the tiniest holes in our tank covers and some aim for them on purpose in an attempt to escape. I had a bluestreak cleaner fish jump through a tiny 1/2 inch finger sized hole that I used to removed my tank cover. It took me a week to locate the fish, dried and crispy at the bottom of a box of various saltwater items I had stored near the tank. :(

taguila73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond gobie stays out of sight all the time as well only coming out every so often. If he sees any type of movement he will disappear under the rocks again. Two days ago I added a clean up shrimp which was out for the whole evening then the next day it disappeared as well. I tried moving a few rocks but didn’t see anything around. Did the gobie eat the shrimp? Idk what to think? If I get another shrimp will the same thing happen? Does the gobie always stay in hiding?

5DE0E66D-2FAD-45DD-8A16-9AFD52DD524F.png 985227CC-7A2C-4769-8CC2-A864768CCA26.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back