Goby Might be dead/dying

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm literally in tears right now over my yellow watchman goby Sunny. He's such a character and loves to snip at the feeder tube thinking he can get the food inside before it exits. He even comes out and swims back and forth from his and Shares cave (tiger pistol). Ever since the first hour Share was brought in, they have been by eachothers side.

So, I moved them over to the new tank about an 1 1/2 ago. Temp is good, all tests were perfect and have been. He was a tough one to catch and I had to remove the rock to do so (same with Share). Share darted under the rock and hasn't come out, which is normal. Sunny though is behind the rock hiding and when I checked on him after the first half hour he was breathing heavy, but that makes sense from the stress of the catch. Now though, he looks grayish and, if he's breathing, he's barely doing so as I can barely see movement from his mouth and gills. He has settled sand on his back as well which makes me think he's passed. He isn't floating, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I'm scared, as I'm sure he is/was as well

20221111_192752.jpg

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe for a chance at hope? I don't know. I get attached easily and I've had him for about 6 months. He's a part of my family (the fish and I) and losing him is like losing a family member to me. I feel guilty of doing something wrong. I'm not worried about me though, just him.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. It is very upsetting to loose these fish.
Yes changing tank can stress them out.
Was your tank all new water? When I have to do a change I tried to keep almost all my old water the rocks and even some sand. I figure they will be familiar with the smell and the chemistry and the bacteria and it can helps them. But I did lost a firefish that way. My 40G sprang a leak so I had to put them in a smaller temporary tank, saved some the water, and the rocks and went an buy a replacement tank. Then second transfer back to new tank. The Starry blenny survived, but not the firefish.
The other transfer from 55G to 120G was easier.I kept all the rocks, and water, rinse the sand and just added new water. Fish did well and seemed happier.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why I'm posting this. Maybe for a chance at hope? I don't know. I get attached easily and I've had him for about 6 months. He's a part of my family (the fish and I) and losing him is like losing a family member to me. I feel guilty of doing something wrong. I'm not worried about me though, just him.
If your tests were “perfect” and the salinity was even, or lower,then you’ve done nothing wrong.
The change in home can be very stressful.
I’d do nothing to add any further stress, just let him settle.
But double check your numbers.

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. It is very upsetting to loose these fish.
Yes changing tank can stress them out.
Was your tank all new water? When I have to do a change I tried to keep almost all my old water the rocks and even some sand. I figure they will be familiar with the smell and the chemistry and the bacteria and it can helps them. But I did lost a firefish that way. My 40G sprang a leak so I had to put them in a smaller temporary tank, saved some the water, and the rocks and went an buy a replacement tank. Then second transfer back to new tank. The Starry blenny survived, but not the firefish.
The other transfer from 55G to 120G was easier.I kept all the rocks, and water, rinse the sand and just added new water. Fish did well and seemed happier.
I did move the rock over, everything except a bottom rock that apparently has a large bristle worm living in it. I did use some of the water, but not a lot as the 16g was a pain to keep the algae down in. So, I didn't want to transfer much in case it wasn't as healthy as it should be.

Looking again, he still hasn't budged from where he first went to. I'm pretty sure he's passed now. I don't want to bother him but I want to see if he needs removed...

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tests were “perfect” and the salinity was even, or lower,then you’ve done nothing wrong.
The change in home can be very stressful.
I’d do nothing to add any further stress, just let him settle.
But double check your numbers.
Sorry if saying perfect isn't a proper way of saying that. All I meant was the numbers were within the recommended and same specs as the previous tank, except for nitrates which are lower due to there having been no food in the tank until now.

Should I see if he's passed since he is so still?
Or should I leave him be until morning and then take the necessary actions?

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I decided to just stick the feeder tube in and see if he would react. He indeed reacted. He darted to the other side of the tank. So, I will for sure leave him be and let him adjust. I just wanted to be sure he wasn't dead and has a chance. I feel quite a bit better now. Guess I should've checked before posting.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if saying perfect isn't a proper way of saying that. All I meant was the numbers were within the recommended and same specs as the previous tank, except for nitrates which are lower due to there having been no food in the tank until now.

Should I see if he's passed since he is so still?
Or should I leave him be until morning and then take the necessary actions?
No sorry, “perfect” can be a fair statement.
Relax.
Just let him be.

OP
OP
H

humbletumble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update if anyone is interested.

Both Sunny and Share found each other over night and are living together again in a nice, central sand cave. Sunny is definitely out and about as I see a flash of yellow when I walk by.

Thanks for the support and comments everyone

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to hear that! Poor guy was probably just badly stressed. Fish can change colors when under stress, and it can look really alarming.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back