Goby Pistol Shrimp Pair

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5 gallon mixed reef tank with 2 clowns and 2 bangaiis. I really want a Goby pistol shrimp pair. I am thinking about getting a Yasha Goby and a Randal's Pistol Shrimp. I did have a couple of questions though. Does anyone have a list of gobies that you can pair with Randal's pistol shrimps? Do you have to put a dish of sand in a quarantine tank for them? What does the pistol shrimp eat? Any recommendations or suggestions on anything with them would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the dish of sand just to keep them together or is your qt bare-bottom? Pistol shrimp are carnivores and will eat frozen food and meaty pellets. For gobies that pair with that particular shrimp, I’d get a Randall’s shrimp goby.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the dish of sand just to keep them together or is your qt bare-bottom? Pistol shrimp are carnivores and will eat frozen food and meaty pellets. For gobies that pair with that particular shrimp, I’d get a Randall’s shrimp goby.
The qt tank is a bare bottom and Ive read that you should give sand sifting gobies a dish of sand to hang out in. Will the goby and pistol shrimp eat frozen brine shrimp and other meaty foods?

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak to Yashas or Randals, but I don't think feeding will be a concern.

I've had two YWG/Tiger Pistol pairs, and all of them ate anything I put in the tank. Watching them eat is the best part. The pistols are suprisingly dexterous and can snatch even the tiniest of pellets. The gobies are like vacuum cleaners.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak to Yashas or Randals, but I don't think feeding will be a concern.

I've had two YWG/Tiger Pistol pairs, and all of them ate anything I put in the tank. Watching them eat is the best part. The pistols are suprisingly dexterous and can snatch even the tiniest of pellets. The gobies are like vacuum cleaners.
Okay good. What did you feed them?

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A variety of frozen food. I like Rod's the best. It's a nice blend that feeds the whole tank.

I also feed Hikari pellets (the small ones). Sometimes soaked in Selcon... sometimes not.
Did you quarantine the shrimp and goby? If you did, did you put a dish of sand in the qt tank?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quarantine the shrimp and goby? If you did, did you put a dish of sand in the qt tank?
I’d give them sand, and also a 3” length of 1.5” pvc pipe. I personally don’t quarantine, but if you have a quarantine tank set up, then go for it. And the pipe makes for an instant burrow for them. They can either dig under it or live inside it.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d give them sand, and also a 3” length of 1.5” pvc pipe. I personally don’t quarantine, but if you have a quarantine tank set up, then go for it. And the pipe makes for an instant burrow for them. They can either dig under it or live inside it.
I have pvc pipe in my qt tank but you're not supposed to put sand in the tank as it provides a home for more beneficial bacteria than you want which can mess up the amount of copper in the tank. That's why I was wondering if a dish of sand would be best. Its fine if you don't know though

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pvc pipe in my qt tank but you're not supposed to put sand in the tank as it provides a home for more beneficial bacteria than you want which can mess up the amount of copper in the tank. That's why I was wondering if a dish of sand would be best. Its fine if you don't know though
I meant dish of sand, yes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back