Goby sudden death

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Strange thing happened just now. Fed my 12 gallon tank this morning. All habitants (1 clown, 1 orchid dottyback, yellow watchman goby and pistol pair, misc snails, hermit crabs and tuxedo urchin) all doing their thing. Fed the tank and all attacked the food as usual. About 30 min later, saw the goby dead on the bottom. The clown and orchid are fine. Note that all fish have been together for almost a year and get along fine. All water parameters are fine.. first thing I checked was ammonia. So the only thing I can think of is food but then why only the goby that’s affected? I feed frozen San Francisco Bay brand Marine Cuisine.
bf10e623f8db18f0368e37acd72c9b6d.heic

Been feeding from this pack for a while but this was a new cube. I usually defrost the cube in the fridge and feed over a few days. And since the other two fish are fine, the only thing I can think of is did the goby choke on the food or something in it? I looked in its mouth and saw something hard. Even pulled out a portion of it but think it was just part of its anatomy (poor guy). So again am left wondering what could have killed Tiki the goby.

Any thoughts?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other possibilities exist as well ... In some cases, fish experience the same sorts of illnesses we do; heart problems, spinal injuries, aneurysms, etc.

The possibility exists that one ingredient in that cube had something wrong with it, as well.

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back