Goby?

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some kind of goby to pair with my pistol shrimp and also to help keep the sand clean. The tank is 75 gallons that I just upgraded a week ago from a biocube 32. I took the rock and water from the 32 but got new tropic eden sand. Is my sand alive enough or even need to be to add a goby? Also what would be a good goby to get?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is a Yellow Watchman Goby. Good looking fish, lots of character, inexpensive, and easily pairs with many species of shrimp. He was immediately named by my youngest daughter "Mr. Frowny Face". I have him paired with a Randall's pistol shrimp.

As far as having live enough sand, this one doesn't depend on the sand to provide his meals. He'll grab pellets and mysis that drift pass him while the rest of the tank gets fed. Very rarely does he go beyond a 3" radius of the burrow he lives in, so if it isn't on the sand within that 3" he's not eating it.

P8xykDzh.jpg

Last edited:

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/1/fish.
Here is a good article on the Advanced Aquarist on the different gobies “A Look @ the Gobies”. The ones that sift the most sand can also dust your corals resting on the sand bed with unwanted sand. But they do keep sand clean. Some don’t want the issue of sand on the corals while others love to watch these busy gobies sift.
Other gobies like the yellow watchman don’t sift a great deal and hang out by their burrow. My favorite is also the yellow watchman. I like their grumpy expression.
Read this article and opinions on this thread to decide what appeals to you.

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I did have a yellow watchman when I got the pistol shrimp a long time ago. He was very small. I put him in the tank and never seen him again.

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you adding Instant Ocean Bio Spira to help with the 75 gallon cycle and no i personally don't think the sand and water is enough.

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you adding Instant Ocean Bio Spira to help with the 75 gallon cycle and no i personally don't think the sand and water is enough.
I reused all the live rock and water. I only added new sand.

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is a Yellow Watchman Goby. Good looking fish, lots of character, inexpensive, and easily pairs with many species of shrimp. He was immediately named by my youngest daughter "Mr. Frowny Face". I have him paired with a Randall's pistol shrimp.

As far as having live enough sand, this one doesn't depend on the sand to provide his meals. He'll grab pellets and mysis that drift pass him while the rest of the tank gets fed. Very rarely does he go beyond a 3" radius of the burrow he lives in, so if it isn't on the sand within that 3" he's not eating it.

P8xykDzh.jpg
Plus one on that, if you never saw him again and he was very small perhaps he was bullied to death by other tankmates?
Keep in mind, I did have one of mine disappear before only to be found SIX-SEVEN MONTHS later in a part of the sump that I couldn't see. Make sure you check around, it is possible he is still there.
Edit- I just saw again that you just swapped tanks, so never mind on checking if he is still there. But I would still recommend a YWG, perhaps try and get a "larger" one

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't clean the sand, but pink stripe gobies are much larger than ywm's, pair with pistol shrimp and have a great personality!

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reused all the live rock and water. I only added new sand.
It should be okay for one Goby, since u are reusing water and live rock there should be some be beneficial bacteria enough for a Goby but wait for a while till your tank is fully cycled for ANY other fish you would like to add to your 75g, also keep ammo lock in case of any ammonia spike.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman that when he was in my 30g I assume he was dead most of the time since I’d never see him or see him eat. Then after 3 months he started chillin in the open. Now I have him in a 100g with the same former tank mates and he’s a territorial SOB. He fluffs up and nips at any fish that come near his cave. It’s a huge cave. I actually want to remove him.

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchman is my original fish from 10 years ago. He’s still around and doesn’t have any bad habits. They won’t clean your sand though, that will have to be up to you and a gravel vacuum. They will come out more without a shrimp I’ve found. After his original shrimp passed of old age he hasn’t paired with the new shrimp, so he’s out looking for food regularly.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby if you want clean sand all over your tank. The other pairing gobies don't shift much and stay closer to their burrows all the time. I have a watchman goby she'd definitelyonce of my favorite fish... but make sure you have a screened top, they're jumpers!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back