Godzilla mushroom - how to appropriately price

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started a “Dwight during a garage sale” , starting with 14 AI Prime light shades as collateral with the end goal to obtain (trade using collateral) an OG bounce. My last acquisition was two Godzilla mushrooms. I have been looking for someone who would trade OG for Godzilla + jawbreaker, and no bites. I think I’m in the “high-end” category now where there is a different set of rules and players. So I am planning on selling the Godzilla. The person who wants to buy it lives outside of driving distance so I would ship it. What I am looking for information regarding is

1) how would I ship something alive like two good size mushrooms from Indiana to NY ? Is there a “standard” or do different people do it different ways?

2) what to ask in terms of payment for the Godzilla and shipping. Would use received funds as payment for OG bounce

Perfect case scenario is to sell the Godzilla for the amount I buy the OG. But OG prices are so crazy, some say $150 some say $8000 so I have absolutely no idea. I want to price the coral appropriately as a hobbyist level rather than coral supplier, but it’s a mushroom so it’s not a super demanding coral.
IMG_4069.jpeg
F83EEDD9-C64C-4EAC-8BB7-0397420C708A.jpeg IMG_3966.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
price is whatever someone is willing to pay. look around in the marketplace for rough ideas of what to charge. i'm seeing many babies being sold for 200-300+. size is a factor as well. bigger tend to be more expensive. lineage matters to most as well(as in, is it a real godzilla? etc).

EasternShoreman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately cannot help with pricing - But I did get a laugh out of you “Dwight during a garage sale” reference!

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
price is whatever someone is willing to pay. look around in the marketplace for rough ideas of what to charge. i'm seeing many babies being sold for 200-300+. size is a factor as well. bigger tend to be more expensive. lineage matters to most as well(as in, is it a real godzilla? etc).
yes, no standard price i find. let me ask you this. would it be an offensive thing if i were to ask "what would you think is a fair price to you to pay?" because at that point it could be open honest conversation. like would you be caught off guard if that was presented to you

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yes, no standard price i find. let me ask you this. would it be an offensive thing if i were to ask "what would you think is a fair price to you to pay?" because at that point it could be open honest conversation. like would you be caught off guard if that was presented to you
me personally? no. but others may potentially be caught off guard or in some cases, try to low ball.

Most dime/nickle sized godzilla's are going for 200(and more)+shipping. Decent spot to start at?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just ask what makes these particular mushrooms so expensive? It looks like a cross between a lava lamp shroom and a ricordea Florida (both 20 dollar shrooms). Is it just the rarity?
Someone slapped a name on it and hyped it up. Put it under some UV to get more pop out of it, and presto changeo, NEW HIGH END SHROOM

There are some shrooms out there worth the prices asked, like on OG bounce that is covered with bounce nodules and 3" across, those are pretty cool. But the one here, I'd go $50 for it

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started a “Dwight during a garage sale” , starting with 14 AI Prime light shades as collateral with the end goal to obtain (trade using collateral) an OG bounce. My last acquisition was two Godzilla mushrooms. I have been looking for someone who would trade OG for Godzilla + jawbreaker, and no bites. I think I’m in the “high-end” category now where there is a different set of rules and players. So I am planning on selling the Godzilla. The person who wants to buy it lives outside of driving distance so I would ship it. What I am looking for information regarding is

1) how would I ship something alive like two good size mushrooms from Indiana to NY ? Is there a “standard” or do different people do it different ways?

2) what to ask in terms of payment for the Godzilla and shipping. Would use received funds as payment for OG bounce

Perfect case scenario is to sell the Godzilla for the amount I buy the OG. But OG prices are so crazy, some say $150 some say $8000 so I have absolutely no idea. I want to price the coral appropriately as a hobbyist level rather than coral supplier, but it’s a mushroom so it’s not a super demanding coral.
IMG_4069.jpeg
F83EEDD9-C64C-4EAC-8BB7-0397420C708A.jpeg IMG_3966.jpeg
It's worth whatever someone pays.

But more realistically, just pick a number you want for it that seems reasonable and just stick to it.

As for shipping, theres plenty of shipping threads on here where you can learn how to pack and ship coral. There's a whole category for "propogation, shipping" on the first page of forum categories

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth whatever someone pays.

But more realistically, just pick a number you want for it that seems reasonable and just stick to it.

As for shipping, theres plenty of shipping threads on here where you can learn how to pack and ship coral. There's a whole category for "propogation, shipping" on the first page of forum categories
Very nice, I knew it’d be close by. I think I’m just a bit uncomfortable asking for that amount of money for a coral. I am also in the “50 bucks tops for *almost any coral” which is why I started on this trading adventure 10 months ago - I knew I’d never spend OG Bounce money and now even I’m thinking after a successful first transaction would I even be able to spend 200 on a mushroom it will all be worth it in the end

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone slapped a name on it and hyped it up. Put it under some UV to get more pop out of it, and presto changeo, NEW HIGH END SHROOM

There are some shrooms out there worth the prices asked, like on OG bounce that is covered with bounce nodules and 3" across, those are pretty cool. But the one here, I'd go $50 for it
A true Godzilla is one of the coolest looking mushroom corals in the hobby. This one , I hope , will get a little bouncy and funky. And even $50 for a mushroom coral that’s still impressive to me !

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I knew it’d be close by. I think I’m just a bit uncomfortable asking for that amount of money for a coral. I am also in the “50 bucks tops for *almost any coral” which is why I started on this trading adventure 10 months ago - I knew I’d never spend OG Bounce money and now even I’m thinking after a successful first transaction would I even be able to spend 200 on a mushroom it will all be worth it in the end
Just pick a price you want for it and stick with it. You'll drive yourself crazy looking at other posts and pricing on the same coral.

And you're not asking for the money, you're telling people it costs X amount. Stay at the number and don't let people haggle over the price.

bratfink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 3 different ones pictured. If the Godzilla is the one you are touching, then I got one of them too, paid $25 for it originally. Since then it’s deposited at least 5 replicants. So I don’t think rarity is a factor. I’ll probably give most of mine away for pocket change.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pick a price you want for it and stick with it. You'll drive yourself crazy looking at other posts and pricing on the same coral.

And you're not asking for the money, you're telling people it costs X amount. Stay at the number and don't let people haggle over the price.
Framing in a different manner I love it. I have actually found someone who is CLOSE enough to drive and is looking to trade! Whoo whoo! I was a little worried about shipping and money exchange so an in person swap is perfect case scenario. IMG_4075.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Framing in a different manner I love it. I have actually found someone who is CLOSE enough to drive and is looking to trade! Whoo whoo! I was a little worried about shipping and money exchange so an in person swap is perfect case scenario. IMG_4075.png
I like that shroom! NICE!

And as far as pricing goes, always just pick a number and stick to it. Someone will think it's a deal and you'll get what you're asking.

When I sell at frag swaps, I make my trays, and I always try to average the cost of everything and then do trays of $20/$30/$40 frags no matter what's on the tray. My price is my price, the person next to me could have the same thing for more/less, and my price is still my price

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently at FFM in Connecticut. I overhead a vender attempting to sell a small frag (1inch maximum) of Godzilla bounce for $540. The buyer was shocked and did not proceed to buy the coral.
That same day a local reefer listed some frags of Godzilla bounce for $150 obo.

Right now I have OG bounce, Sunkist bounce, Uranium bounce, Powerball bounce, and hulk bounce in my tank.

I personally wouldn’t buy a Godzilla bounce for more than $150.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently at FFM in Connecticut. I overhead a vender attempting to sell a small frag (1inch maximum) of Godzilla bounce for $540. The buyer was shocked and did not proceed to buy the coral.
That same day a local reefer listed some frags of Godzilla bounce for $150 obo.

Right now I have OG bounce, Sunkist bounce, Uranium bounce, Powerball bounce, and hulk bounce in my tank.

I personally wouldn’t buy a Godzilla bounce for more than $150.
I’m gonna do it as 200 shipped, just working out the timeline now, messaged with a guy in NY and I’m in IN so have to ship, I’ve never shipped coral but assuming it’ll be at least $50 with overnight + supplies, so basically 150+shipping. Then I take that $200 and try to turn it into OG bounce. You have absolutely gorgeous mushrooms, well done, weeeeelllllll done !!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back