Going about buying live rock from local reefer

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys!
So a local reefer is parting out his tank and I'm in need of 50-100lb of rock on a budget.

He had the live rock from his tank stored in containers with saltwater with no circulation and eventually just discarded the water. so I guess the rock is pretty much dead rock now not live.

How should I go about cleaning it, cycling it etc? what are the proper steps to take after purchasing it?
Any downsides of purchasing rock from another person tank that has been sitting outside vs. buying BRS dry rock or any other plain dry rock?

Another bonus question lol, I am not planning on starting my tank anytime soon since I'm still buying parts for it.
Anyway, I can put the rock in a position right now where the eventual tank cycle can be reduced? I have a frag tank that is cycling right now, maybe I can throw the rock in there or get a big garbage can and throw them in there with saltwater and proper circulation?

Help a noobie out, thanks reefers!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sneaker, More reply's I'm sure. I like the big garbage can idea . Ya need to use salt water not fresh.
Have any test kits yet? You are looking for how much No3 & Po4 is in the rock . If this is your 1st tank You will need test kits anyway or an LFS can test for you.
One more question , what do You mean by the rock was stored "out doors" ?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If rock is now dead from past storage technique i would start curing in freshwater. Thats a lot of rock so i would go by smell first. Do say weekly water changes. After the smell goes away start using test kits to verify its no longer a nutrient sponge.
Use fresh simply for cost of salt mix aspect and you are going to need a lot with no benefit, goal here is removal of organics

Afterwards can either staring cycling in salt water or store dry when ready to cycle it.

Cure outside(this process will smelly really really bad lol)

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sneaker, More reply's I'm sure. I like the big garbage can idea . Ya need to use salt water not fresh.
Have any test kits yet? You are looking for how much No3 & Po4 is in the rock . If this is your 1st tank You will need test kits anyway or an LFS can test for you.
One more question , what do You mean by the rock was stored "out doors" ?

I have test kits fortunately, I’ve had tanks before but usually I’ve gone with live rock.

He took down his tank so he stored the tank outdoors in a garbage can but didn’t put any flow

OP
OP
sneakerhead

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If rock is now dead from past storage technique i would start curing in freshwater. Thats a lot of rock so i would go by smell first. Do say weekly water changes. After the smell goes away start using test kits to verify its no longer a nutrient sponge.
Use fresh simply for cost of salt mix aspect and you are going to need a lot with no benefit, goal here is removal of organics

Afterwards can either staring cycling in salt water or store dry when ready to cycle it.

Cure outside(this process will smelly really really bad lol)
Got it
Got it
Thanks for the tip

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gareth Cuthbert hey Man, Why do you suggest fresh water? Just curious.
I would use saltwater myself . I want my rock to absorb salt not fresh.
Anybody else have a preference & why ?
Anyway sneaker the sooner Ya get started the better. we can all agree on that ! :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Gareth beat me to my question !

I have no idea how accurate this is as i have never tested freshwater cured rock moved to saltwater with a refractometer.

But the mean water absorption of pumice is only ~16% as our reef rock is markedly less porous closer to 3-8%(depending on rock type) at 100 pounds we are only talking about 5lbs of freshwater added. Due to the lower density of freshwater this would leach out during the cycling process and given the amount of water that is changed during this would likely have very little effect on end salinity.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does this process of curing usually take?

This will vary greatly on how dirty the tock is. There are some speed ups like bleach and muriatic acid.

Theres a brs video on these methods. I have used bleach.

Power washer can also help, no cleanser just blast the surface with water before starting curing. Will be more effective on rock like reef saver or tonga than java.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would soak in muratic acid and rinse well, then setup in your frag tank along with some well established rock with good growth one it and let it cook. If you don’t have any then purchase a few pieces from a buddy or LFS.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back