Going fallow and have some questions??

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to go fallow after having a case of the ich. Humble fish website says raising tank temps above 80 degrees can cut the process from 76 days to just 6 weeks. Does anyone have experience with this method? Also now I have no fish in the system should I quit running my skimmer full time? I still plan on dosing phyto feast and AB+ every few days.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my skimmer running and went to zero nitrates and zero phosphates quickly even while continuing to feed the tank. So I now have the cup off my skimmer to make sure it gets oxygenated we’ll still. I have corals, snails and shrimp in it still but no fish.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate and try to keep them stable during fallow. If nutrients drop then turn your skimmer off all or part of the time. Fallow sucks good luck. Gives a good opportunity to add some inverts at beginning of fallow and they will be in automatic QT

OP
OP
Troyer15

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping the AB+ and phyto feast will keep the nutrients up. Should probably throw some flakes in every once in a while too.

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I’m in week 4 now. No skimmer yet, but am taking the opportunity to add a sump. Still have corals, snails and crabs to feed, and algae to scrape. Meanwhile, I set up a 20-gal QT and have a few fish in it that can go to the main tank in October.

Best

Back