going to my first coral expo- what to bring and any advice

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to my first coral expo this Sunday (Niagara Falls). The corals will be going on a 3.5hr drive back. What should I bring to transport the corals for that duration of a drive? Also any tips or advice for attending coral shows? I am planning on leaving for lunch during the show and coming back- is it easier to ask vendors to hold corals in the tank or should I have them hold the bags of corals?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can tell you this much; any container that holds enough water to keep the corals submerged will work perfectly fine for the drive back. A small cooler or similar container is a good idea, to insulate them. And don't set them on a seat with the seat warmer on!

Definitely bring cash. Small vendors of any sort like that- means no credit card fees for them.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you this much; any container that holds enough water to keep the corals submerged will work perfectly fine for the drive back. A small cooler or similar container is a good idea, to insulate them. And don't set them on a seat with the seat warmer on!

Definitely bring cash. Small vendors of any sort like that- means no credit card fees for them.
Sorry this is going to sound dumb - I thought the cooler was for putting the individual bags all together like they do for shipping corals. Do you actually dump all the contents into the cooler instead?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue blocker sunglasses, cash, comfortable shoes, a cooler that's not heavy, ideally one in wheels. a jewelers loupe, if you're worried about pests.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is going to sound dumb - I thought the cooler was for putting the individual bags all together like they do for shipping corals. Do you actually dump all the contents into the cooler instead?
Yep, normally with a few layers of eggcrate to mount the frags in.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I had no idea. I thought it was just the bags thrown in there lol. Guess I need to buy a designated coral cooler!
I mean, I guess it depends on how much you're getting, how much you're trading, and how often you're going. They will bag up a coral, but it isn't the best way to transport them...

I should give a shameless plug to @NightHowlerSystems here. @N1tew0lf1212 cooked up a fantastic transport system.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to my first coral expo this Sunday (Niagara Falls). The corals will be going on a 3.5hr drive back. What should I bring to transport the corals for that duration of a drive? Also any tips or advice for attending coral shows? I am planning on leaving for lunch during the show and coming back- is it easier to ask vendors to hold corals in the tank or should I have them hold the bags of corals?
Wish I would have known there was a coral show reasonably close .
I’m also about 3.5 hours away from Niagara

the only thing you need ….. money ..

Advice . Only buy what you have room for and be sure you plan it’s compatibility and placing prior to purchasing

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Advice . Only buy what you have room for and be sure you plan it’s compatibility and placing prior to purchasing
This is good advice just in general. Whether it's Aquashella or the LFS.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's this Sunday! I think it's the first one in Niagara. Thanks for the advice :)

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I guess it depends on how much you're getting, how much you're trading, and how often you're going. They will bag up a coral, but it isn't the best way to transport them...

I should give a shameless plug to @NightHowlerSystems here. @N1tew0lf1212 cooked up a fantastic transport system.
Well this is my first coral expo. No trading for me. Just going to buy a few and drive back the 3.5 hours!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been to shows years ago and went crazy buying up as many deals as I could
But when I got home I had nowhere to place them .
Stack 'em like cordwood and keep the survivors!

tina turner auntie entity GIF

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this Sunday! I think it's the first one in Niagara. Thanks for the advice :)
I haven’t purchased any corals in almost 3 years since I crashed my system .
Now … I’m having a hard time justifying the insane coral prices along with now having to fill a 230 and not just a 90 gal system

the addition of a emperor angelfish restricts everything that much more .

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the shout out....we will start accepting pre orders in the next few months and start processing them shortly after that. If interested for future check us out on instagram while the website is being built NightHowlerSystems

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You certainly can put the bagged corals into a cooler, but putting them in a rack inside it is probably better. Stops them tumbling around, for one thing. No need for anything fancy- a styrofoam cooler works just fine. Provided you test first if it leaks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back