Going to Reef?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am strongly considering going to reef. Right now I have a 220 fowlr with a marbled and coral catshark, and one clownfish. Going to be adding 80 pounds of rock within a month. A lot of people say you can't have sharks with corals, but I've seen it done. I would only be doing lps and soft corals with lower light and flow requirements. I would think as long as I don't have inverts and the coral is cemented to the rock, it would work?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a big problem with doing that. Many LPS’ and soft corals should do with with elevated nutrients. Water changes will help to maintain ideal water parameters. Sharks won’t eat coral...
Good luck and take pictures...

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a big problem with doing that. Many LPS’ and soft corals should do with with elevated nutrients. Water changes will help to maintain ideal water parameters. Sharks won’t eat coral...
Good luck and take pictures...
Yes I have a ton of filtration, fluctuations aren't a problem. Did you mean many lps and soft coral do well with elevated nutrients?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider stable towers for the rockwork. Leave as much open sand as possible. :- )
Caves should take into account they like a snug home but compensate for final shark height and size.

Also consider the sharks are potentially more annoying than our copperband when it comes to being thrown off their stride if you mess with your tank too much while they are in it.

They are a fantasy fish for me.
Would love to have a dedicated tank for several some day.
Lots of reading but no personal experience. :- )

Hope yours do great!

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider stable towers for the rockwork. Leave as much open sand as possible. :- )
Caves should take into account they like a snug home but compensate for final shark height and size.

Also consider the sharks are potentially more annoying than our copperband when it comes to being thrown off their stride if you mess with your tank too much while they are in it.

Hope yours do great!
All rock structures are cemented together with an epoxy.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope yours do great!
Biggest pain with these sharks is getting them to eat their mazuri vitamins!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back