Going to war in this new year

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inevitability, IMO, a pest will sneak into your display. There are a few and sometimes you just have to declare war on the little buggers.

Aiptasia made its way into my tank, I tried aiptasia X and it works BUT I truly believe that with the demise of a mature aiptasia it forces the release of spores as it dies. I had a couple which when I killed them within a week or so I found small copies close to where the parent died.
So then I went stage two, I bought a file fish a month ago. Within minutes of being introduced it ate a small aiptasia and I was sooooo stoked. Then I fed the tank and now he prefers dinner to the pests he was hired to eat.
This past week I was surfing vids and saw a young man who uses berghia and a Majano wand and he combined them to eradicate an entire display of the pests.
Today I searched for a wand and found that the average price was close to $160, did some more searching and with a site sign up and free shipping I got one for $125.
I should get it within a few days and I plan on picking up a few berghia at a LFS as as 1- 2 punch.
I think I will wield that wand like Voldemort when I get it!!!
Photo_1672603677515.jpg

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend F aiptasia. It is expensive by volume but I had quite an infestation and took care of around 95% with a 20z bottle. Just stir very well and cover the aiptasia like it's a cinnamon bun being iced, leave pumps off for an hour, profit. Plus I had a ton left over
I have used peppermints, lemon juice, and filefish.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend F aiptasia. It is expensive by volume but I had quite an infestation and took care of around 95% with a 20z bottle. Just stir very well and cover the aiptasia like it's a cinnamon bun being iced, leave pumps off for an hour, profit
Will give it a shot, thanks!!!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pest is green bubble algae. Since my display is a high nutrient macro algae tank, it's perfect conditions for those pesky bubble algae. I syphon them out with flexible tubing during water changes and keep their numbers in a controllable range but never fully eradicate them.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend F aiptasia. It is expensive by volume but I had quite an infestation and took care of around 95% with a 20z bottle. Just stir very well and cover the aiptasia like it's a cinnamon bun being iced, leave pumps off for an hour, profit. Plus I had a ton left over
I have used peppermints, lemon juice, and filefish.
+1
"F" Aiptasia.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pest is green bubble algae. Since my display is a high nutrient macro algae tank, it's perfect conditions for those pesky bubble algae. I syphon them out with flexible tubing during water changes and keep their numbers in a controllable range but never fully eradicate them.
Bubble algae is a PITA. I found manual removal + emeralds did more than anything else

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is a PITA. I found manual removal + emeralds did more than anything else
I never found emerald crabs to be reliable so manual removal is my method. But your right about bubble algae being a pain! At least it does not sting or harm anything.

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried F-Aiptasia and it worked, however, it could get expensive if you have a large infestation and will not get into all the places the little pests like to hide.

I built a home-made version of the Majano Wand and it worked beautifully. I don't think you will be disappointed with the commercial version.

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried F-Aiptasia and it worked, however, it could get expensive if you have a large infestation and will not get into all the places the little pests like to hide.

I built a home-made version of the Majano Wand and it worked beautifully. I don't think you will be disappointed with the commercial version.
any tutorials i could follow, sounds like fun

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any tutorials i could follow, sounds like fun
I watched the following video:

I think the instructions in the video has the polarity reversed (there is a comment about this in the video comments). You want your implementation to have 'bubbling' coming from the tip.

Hope that helps.

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the following video:

I think the instructions in the video has the polarity reversed (there is a comment about this in the video comments). You want your implementation to have 'bubbling' coming from the tip.

Hope that helps.

and you've had success with this? seems easy enough to build, i've got everything except two stainless nails, but i'm sure i can figure something out

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you've had success with this? seems easy enough to build, i've got everything except two stainless nails, but i'm sure i can figure something out
yes. I actually wanted to buy the commercial version way back when but i couldn't find it for sale, so i built my own.

IMHO, I think actually improved the concept by making it easily detachable from the stick so i could get into hard to reach places where the stick would not allow me to get to.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G Santana

you are about to distribute aiptasia all over your tank. if you want them beat send me a message. if not, please update your thread with pics along the way/final outcomes so we can study alternate methods.

what you are planning isn't war, its semblance of war from the back lines.

real aiptasia war is very very very different, and not listed in any of your plans and not being given as a control option so far.

the masses only recommend things that they got lucky over, you're missing the war option because nobody practices it

majano wands only get lucky, they aren't a clinch win at all, they distribute parts of the organism for asexual reproduction. I wouldn't expect you'd want to get rid of them quickly, so I didn't bother with the writeup here. chats if you want them beat.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have a big Aiptasia problem then I just bought like 10 peppermint shrimp and i never had it again I would highly recommend them before anything else even file fish ! if you are able to get some I would try it out. I havent had Aiptasia since.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 nudibranchs eradicated a 29 gallon I had of aptasia...like hundreds. All said and done 3 nudis became 10 by the time the aptasia were gone. 8 months later, still no aptasia

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have a big Aiptasia problem then I just bought like 10 peppermint shrimp and i never had it again I would highly recommend them before anything else even file fish ! if you are able to get some I would try it out. I havent had Aiptasia since.
I bought 5 months ago, they disappeared within weeks and I didn't have any fish that would eat them, I do have a two year old blood shrimp and I wonder if he might have had something to do with their disappearance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back