Goiniopora stinging zoanthid.

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikebusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikebusc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Messages
304
Reaction score
175
Location
Douglassville, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some advice here. I’ve had a rainbow zoanthid which was only like three polyps and then started growing pretty well. I put what at the time was a small Goniopora but now as you can see, it’s getting bigger and stinging the zoanthid. Not sure about what to do except try to propagate the zoanthid so I don’t lose the whole specimen completely. (Especially because it was a gift from my daughter :(
I’ve never tried to propagate any coral before, but I can do some research if that’s the only option.

IMG_0148.jpeg IMG_0149.jpeg
 
Assuming your not moving the Goni, you’ll need to take those zoo polys off that rock by chipping underneath so the polys remain attached to some substrate.

Then glue the substrate to a plug or rock.
 
Ok I’ll try that. I’ve been wanting to learn anyway so at least this is pushing me to do it. I’m assuming chipping is a little difficult under water? I wouldn’t be able to move the rock work.
 
Goni's have very strong stings, I've lost so many corals to goni's, keep everything away from them
 
Goniopora have some pretty potent nematocysts. Rastas are one of my favorite zoas, I miss my colony. As long as you can keep them from touching you'll be in good shape but you might have to relocate one or the other. Stunning Goniopora you have there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new