Gold flake angel behavior

Mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a 2” cb Goldflake at Lfs for a ridiculously reasonable price. I ended putting it in my basement tank with a year old 5” Majestic angel. It was dark and I figured I would keep the lights out until I could see what kind of aggression would go on and have my isolation box ready if needed.
When I turned the light on in the morning they swam up to each other and did this strange kind of shimmy, where the majestic would try to lightly hit the goldflake with its tail and the goldflake would kind of stand on its head and wiggle its dorsal fin at the majestic. It almost looks like clownfish mating behavior. I’m guessing it’s some sort of dominance/submission behavior but I’ve never heard/seen anything like that with my other angels. They continue doing this every 20 or 30 minutes with no overt aggression. Anybody experience anything like this?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they might be friends. I've seen my dwarf angelfish behave similarly when adding new dwarf or regular angelfish. It usually dissipates after a few days, but every now and then I'll find two of them "wiggling" together. If they're not rapidly chasing each other around the tank I think they'll get along.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back