Gold rim tang

Jeff1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just have a question I have a gold rim tang about 6 inches I got a week ago great color swims around tank fine but can't seem to get him to eat I have tryed mysis brine nori tied to live tock soaking everything in garlic but won't take anything don't know what else to try or if he just needs more time my fox face did similar things but about day 4 he started eating so I'm getting worried he's in a 200 gallon that's been up and running for almost a year with all water parameter spot on

1523692217800737656272.jpg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his colors still look good and he does not appear undernourished.yes some fish take a week to start taking prepaired foods.not ideal but it happens.nori on a clip or rock is a good way of keeping a constant food supply available as long as the fox face or others don't eat it to quickly.i would offer mysis a few times a day as well. it's hard not to try to feed him every time you walk by the tank to see if he will eat.just be carefull not to over feed the system as i'm sure you know.hope your next post is a "he's eating"one.best of luck.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude but that isn’t a Goldrim. That is a Powder Brown (Acanthurus japonicus).

Anyway, is it picking on the rocks for algae? What foods have you tried? I find that most tangs will take Nori even if they are not interested in other foods. Try all varieties if need be like green,red,and brown. I would also suggest you try as many foods as possible. Eventually it will find one that it likes and that will lead to it eating more and more.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Xanthurum. That is a powder brown not a Gold Rim. I would be concerned as I've never had trouble getting any genus of tangs to eat except Ctenochaetus. Also agree to try as many different foods as you can. Good luck with him!

OP
OP
J

Jeff1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok still trying no luck yet but he swims with all my other fish and doesn't hide but idk why he won't take food

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above recommendations on nori. My blonde naso likes green nori best. Another tang loves purple nori.
Also try an extra veggie/nori clip in tank away from where you put normal clip.
Example: if you have a clip on left where foxface & others eat, then put another clip on right for your new tang. Just distance new clip away from normal clip (out of other's sight range) . He might be enticed to eat in 'quiet' area away from others & feel more secure to start eating.

OP
OP
J

Jeff1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I had success today he eat a bunch of mysis but no nori yet cause all my other alge eaters scarf it down so I'm gonna do what u said and put it in several different spots

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back