Golden Angelfish not eating

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a week or so and my golden angelfish is still not eating. I think it's getting skinnier now. I have tried feeding hikari mysis, PE mysis, brine, spir. brine, angelfish formula, clams in a half shell, cyclops, fish eggs, etc. all soaked in Selcon. I haven't paid attention to it eating kelp flakes and NLS pellets, but I doubt it. I never see it eating. Anything in particular that would help a picky angelfish eat? I have had better luck with butterflies than this fish. Would LRS help as well?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe LRS but I'd go with live blackworms first to get him eating again.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
earl, i also have a golden angel at the moment in quarantine.

... i've been feeding live blackworms, hikari frozen mysis & frozen brine shrimp. he never eats with gusto but i think he pecks at the food here and there. ocean nutrition makes an angel formula (more sponge?) that i've been meaning to pick-up and add to the weekly fishy menu. there's another one called angel elixer that i haven't gotten around to buying either.

i also have ulva, gracilaria and small clumps of chaeto in there for some vegetative variety. i too am a nervous parent at the moment. i've had mine for two weeks.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the following. Brightwell AngelElixr mixed with Mastick, V20 oyster eggs and PantaRhei- panta nori sponge. Only place that sells PantaRhei I'm aware of is Unique Corals. You could also try the Panta Rhei Nouri Polyp as well. Best of luck to you.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the hiding places in the tank? Angelfish are rockdwellers and sometimes adding additional large caves can make it feel less stressed. Subdued lighting also can be beneficial for some specimens.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden Anglefish are notoriously hard to keep, due to their eating habits and being so reclusive. Even when it appears they are eating, they can seem to waste away. I tried one and failed miserably :-( I believe there are a few members here that have them so maybe they will chime in. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Try live brine, Nori algae sheets and live sponge to entice. Adding Garlic to food may also generate interest in feeding

Bensonthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3rd try and not eating until it's dead. They should just leave this beautiful fish in the ocean.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 3rd try and not eating until it's dead. They should just leave this beautiful fish in the ocean.
Have you tried live foods?
Additionally assure no false readings for salinity, nitrate and ammonia

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back