Golden Puffer Help

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my pufferfish has bumps on his belly. Anyone know what this is and how to treat it?

230F2BDA-9A3A-4A30-8E25-68C4A9B61B14.jpeg
4548D092-ED50-4F4D-A734-BE487B1DEC19.jpeg
5FA71A21-99FD-4956-AE38-2DB05A66386C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve seen this on both dog face and valentini puffer and it seems it develops after a helping of food. Larger puffers swallow air easily if they to grab food off the water surface
Assuming it’s dietary, what foods are you feed it and how often?
Assure also that water quality is good

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this on both dog face and valentini puffer and it seems it develops after a helping of food. Larger puffers swallow air easily if they to grab food off the water surface
Assuming it’s dietary, what foods are you feed it and how often?
Assure also that water quality is good
He is the most picky eater you will ever see in a puffer! Only eats very fine pieces of food as if he were a butterfly. Hasn't eaten much lately. When he eats it's nori or jumbo mysis. He has a habit of eating rock and biting at decorative coral skeletons. So you don't think it is dropsy? I was going to start a treatment with Furan 2 and Kanaplex.

Thanks!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, my pufferfish has bumps on his belly. Anyone know what this is and how to treat it?

230F2BDA-9A3A-4A30-8E25-68C4A9B61B14.jpeg
4548D092-ED50-4F4D-A734-BE487B1DEC19.jpeg
5FA71A21-99FD-4956-AE38-2DB05A66386C.jpeg

How long has it had these bumps? Did they develop all at once, or over time? While I agree that one bump could be from swallowing air, IMO, that is less likely to cause two distinct pumps. Also, these bumps seem to have a focal point of lighter tissue at the center, and I think I can see a pinpoint dark center also. Could the foxface have spined it?

Jay

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it had these bumps? Did they develop all at once, or over time? While I agree that one bump could be from swallowing air, IMO, that is less likely to cause two distinct pumps. Also, these bumps seem to have a focal point of lighter tissue at the center, and I think I can see a pinpoint dark center also. Could the foxface have spined it?

Jay
Hi Jay, so yesterday I went over to the tank and he was acting weird just sitting on the floor and breathing very heavy. They appeared today hasn't been long. The rabbit could have for sure, love your ability to piece these things together....would of never though about that. You think that is a possibility? As you mentioned there is lighter tissue in the center. From what I saw in goldfish, dropsy inflames the entire stomach right? Also not air for sure, kinda like bruises we get after a bee sting. Googling...there were posts by others aquarists about a similar issue in their MBU and Toby puffers but no concrete guesses to what it could be, usually a single pimple like lump. This definitely looks like a bruise and he didn't go after his Nori today. He will go after it like a yellow painted missle every day no matter what so he is definitely unhappy.

Update: Thia morning he has another bump on his lower jaw/cheek now!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal please help what should I do? I can't loose this fish I love it too much. Scared and have no idea what to do!!
All I can say is that this isn’t dropsy, and it’s not from swallowing air - the third lesion up by the chin confirms that. I’m still focused on how the bumps have discolored centers - that is a sign of a focal point of an injury or infection. However, if it’s an injury from the foxface, there is nothing to be done except to separate them. If it’s an infection, it isn’t any that I’m familiar with. I don’t like to suggest treatments by just wild guesses….Sorry!
Jay

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Jay he passed away this morning, unfortunately. Can't figure out what happened. I asked the most knowledgable people I know in the hobby in fish diseases (including you) and no one knows what it is. One importer said he has seen this on puffers before but that they always succumb to it and never live. Going to miss him!

Dorn and Victoria

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Jay he passed away this morning, unfortunately. Can't figure out what happened. I asked the most knowledgable people I know in the hobby in fish diseases (including you) and no one knows what it is. One importer said he has seen this on puffers before but that they always succumb to it and never live. Going to miss him!
I’m so sorry.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear!

Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your help as always. I think you were right about being stung by the foxface. Is rabitfish venom toxic?
Nothing worse than a bee sting.
If it starts to hurt, treatment for sw venom is hot water. Hot as you can handle for as long as you can handle.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back