Goniopora food

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends, today my wife gift me a goniopora but i don't know wich food feed?

Please help me about this.

blackmetaltea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessary to target feed, I usually feed a tiny bit of rods food and they'll pick up tiny floaters from that. Again, not necessary. Using a good quality refrigerated phytoplankton is usually a good idea for corals.

OP
OP
Roberto CRC

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I understood that if it is a coral that requires feeding, was reading the Reef Royds is an ideal food for them.

moulton1853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any food for corals is fine. I have 2 and they really aren't as hard to grow as some would suggest. Sometimes I spot feed but it's not necessary as I went 2 weeks without doing so and they were fine.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some goniopora require lots of food and some do not.. The red ORA goni does fine without direct feeding but seems to do better with some feedings.
Some goniopora though require lots of feeding, it is the key to keeping allot of the harder to keep varieties.
Some like g. stokesis is impossible to keep.
I am keeping about 12 + varieties right now.
The question is really what do they eat?
Some show no response to feeding but they have to be eating something, it may be eating bacteria.
Anyhow I have feed lots of things to mine over the years.
My favorites were nutrimar ovar and cyclopeeze and neither are made.
But you can feed oyster eggs, rotifers (live and dead), bbs (live and dead), cyclops, Calanus, reef roids. Basically anything small..
Things like Rod's coral food works well because it has allot of those in..
Personally i like live or frozen the best.

TLF50053_2__87031.1446145800.500.750.jpg

I would start here:
Goniopower also works but I do not see as good as a feeding response as frozen but it does seem to work for most.. Also some goniopora seem to like different size food than others and Goniopower seems to be a litte consistent in size.
My anthias go crazy for the stuff and so do my gorgonia. I turn off all pumps though and sprinkle it over the goni and let it settle on the goniopora.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roberto CRC

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect Ok, I have to feed my other 2 Coral Reef Roids product on page of Polyp Lab recommend to Goniopora, someone has used it?

OP
OP
Roberto CRC

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some goniopora require lots of food and some do not.. The red ORA goni does fine without direct feeding but seems to do better with some feedings.
Some goniopora though require lots of feeding, it is the key to keeping allot of the harder to keep varieties.
Some like g. stokesis is impossible to keep.
I am keeping about 12 + varieties right now.
The question is really what do they eat?
Some show no response to feeding but they have to be eating something, it may be eating bacteria.
Anyhow I have feed lots of things to mine over the years.
My favorites were nutrimar ovar and cyclopeeze and neither are made.
But you can feed oyster eggs, rotifers (live and dead), bbs (live and dead), cyclops, Calanus, reef roids. Basically anything small..
Things like Rod's coral food works well because it has allot of those in..
Personally i like live or frozen the best.

TLF50053_2__87031.1446145800.500.750.jpg

I would start here:
Goniopower also works but I do not see as good as a feeding response as frozen but it does seem to work for most.. Also some goniopora seem to like different size food than others and Goniopower seems to be a litte consistent in size.
My anthias go crazy for the stuff and so do my gorgonia. I turn off all pumps though and sprinkle it over the goni and let it settle on the goniopora.

Thank you for this answer. The Goniopower was just watching it on Amazon.

And I teach them a photo taken yesterday after about 30 minutes of entering the Goniopora my tank, so maybe you can tell me if it's like yours.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is quite the colony, I am extremely jealous, good luck with it!!

I spot feed my goni every so often with a mix of goniopower/reef roids/liquid or powdered phyto. I also broadcast "feed" stuff from ZeoVit/Korallen-Zucht daily; Sponge Power, Coral Vitalizer, Phol’s Xtra, Amino Acid Concentrate LPS, Also liquid phyto and acropower every so often.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back