Goniopora intra species compatibility

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three different goniopora/alveopora in my tank in near viscinity. They are doing ok, but I think the micro goniopora (the one with shorted polyps) is stinging its nearby neighbors, which are long polyp pink goniopora and a white alveopora. I am not sure though, as of now I can only spot some tissue recession on the adjacent gonipora and have noticed some extended polyps from the micro goniopora on that direction (somewhat like sweeper tentacle). Any one have similar experience, can shed some lights?

FTS
DSC_0704.JPG

Goniporas,

I suspect the one in the middle is stinging the other two in its left and right
close up
DSC_0662.JPG

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a goni expert by any stretch of the imagination but since there are no other replies i will share my limited experience.

I had a red Goni and an alveopra next to each other and the alveopra got beat up bad. I had to separate them.

That alveopra came from a tank where it was next to 3 gonis where it did just fine.

I think it's like euphillias where it just depends, some are compatable some aren't. I'm sure someone will know which ones are which.

Good luck

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Goniopora can be very aggressive but not all are. Some can be next to each other while others are not. They can also put sweepers out pretty far if need be.

It can happen fast since gonis are very touchy. I have lost colonies that were great close to each other for a year or so and then one grew large enough and killed the other almost overnight. Once in decline a goni can be hard to bring back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your valuable insights. This helps a lot. I am planning to separate them out. I think I’ll love the long polyp ones out of there , and keep them in a rock , below, out of the main island. Where Hollywood stunner is now (planning to get rid of it)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back