Goniopora polyps open but not extended

David cornelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this starry eyed goni about a 2 weeks ago and I cannot get it to extend its polyps. It's open but not extended. I've put it in a variety of flow and lights and I have no luck with it
20180807_171549.jpeg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this starry eyed goni about a 2 weeks ago and I cannot get it to extend its polyps. It's open but not extended. I've put it in a variety of flow and lights and I have no luck with it
20180807_171549.jpeg
Stop moving it. I would keep it where it is and give it gental flow from each side of it. Then this evening before the lights go out, turn your pumps off and give it some coral food. You don't need to feed it often but at least let it know food is available.

OP
OP
David cornelius

David cornelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop moving it. I would keep it where it is and give it gental flow from each side of it. Then this evening before the lights go out, turn your pumps off and give it some coral food. You don't need to feed it often but at least let it know food is available.
I've left it in spots for around 3-5 days but it wont extend. I'll leave it where it's at now. Also I have feed it reef roids but I'm not sure if it's taking in the food. It's hard to tell when its closed like that.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've left it in spots for around 3-5 days but it wont extend. I'll leave it where it's at now. Also I have feed it reef roids but I'm not sure if it's taking in the food. It's hard to tell when its closed like that.
It can take a week or two for it to settle in. How old is the tank overall?

Do you know what your nitrates and phosphates are and what do you have for lighting?

OP
OP
David cornelius

David cornelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a week or two for it to settle in. How old is the tank overall?

Do you know what your nitrates and phosphates are and what do you have for lighting?
Tank is about at 2 month mark. It is a fluval 13.5 so nitrates are at 0 and phosphates are undetectable on api test kit but I'm thinking there are little phosphates just very low, and I have an ai prime

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about at 2 month mark. It is a fluval 13.5 so nitrates are at 0 and phosphates are undetectable on api test kit but I'm thinking there are little phosphates just very low, and I have an ai prime
Right on. I would take it much slower than you are. I wish that adding dry rock and bottled bacteria is all this tank needs but I would be lying to you. This tank has another year or so to mature though not fully mature. If you haven't done so already I would start adding copepods, amphipods, and plankton to the system. For now, I wouldn't purchase anymore coral till that goni starts thriving. Use it as an indication.

OP
OP
David cornelius

David cornelius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. I would take it much slower than you are. I wish that adding dry rock and bottled bacteria is all this tank needs but I would be lying to you. This tank has another year or so to mature though not fully mature. If you haven't done so already I would start adding copepods, amphipods, and plankton to the system. For now, I wouldn't purchase anymore coral till that goni starts thriving. Use it as an indication.
Thank you for the advice! I have plenty of other corals such as montipora, acans, and blasted which are doing well

SingingSiren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love goniopora! I have two, nothing fancy. Yours looks like it will be beautiful! Where did you get it?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has yours opened yet? I have a fairly mature one that I received from another reefer. It was awesome and lately I've noticed it stopped extending...at least on top. More extension on the sides which might suggest the light is too much over it. I'm on a heavy SPS reef thus strong lights. I just noticed it today and considering dialing back the light which I increased about a month back. Maybe related. Is yours getting too much light?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back