Gonipora all puffed up

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I brought home a Gonipora the other day. In the store it was nice and extended. When I got it home it seemed happy and was extending but I found it this morning all puffed up to twice the size it was yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with gonipora and I'm wondering if this is normal while it is getting used to the new conditions or if it's warning me that something is wrong.

IMG_7162.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being extended means its happy. I believe that type of goni will extend even more, the green ones extend 3"-4"-5"-6" sometimes

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being extended means its happy. I believe that type of goni will extend even more, the green ones extend 3"-4"-5"-6" sometimes
The things is, it's not extending. The whole body is puffed up to the size of a baseball. Yesterday is was more like golf ball sized.

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora in my experience are teenage kids. Moody as hell. I have one that if it gets irritated it will literally close for two weeks. Only one of mine (my least favorite) is always happy. I've spoken to other reefers who keep multiple gonis and they have said the same thing. Shame too it's my favorite coral.

Yours is fine though. That puffing is normal every once in a while.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things is, it's not extending. The whole body is puffed up to the size of a baseball. Yesterday is was more like golf ball sized.
oh lol, I've never experienced that with mine, but there are many posts about it on this forum and online. Not known why it happens, but does not seem to be a bad thing, or have negative affects.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just compared pictures from yesterday and it's literally 3 time the volume now. I feel like the current light level is higher than in the store. It's at a 130 par spot right now. Would it be better to move it down to the sand for now? Would be at 70 par.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just compared pictures from yesterday and it's literally 3 time the volume now. I feel like the current light level is higher than in the store. It's at a 130 par spot right now. Would it be better to move it down to the sand for now? Would be at 70 par.
I wouldn't.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I blind? The two pictures look nearly identical to me except one is on rocks and the other is in the sand
Scale is hard to get right. In the first picture the body was about 2 times as large. Completely inflated to the point where i thought it was going to burst.

The diameter of the body now is around 7 cm. It was at least 15 at some point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back