Good lenses for Nikon D3500?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sharing pics of my corals but my phone isn’t cutting it. I’ve tried aftermarket apps and everything but my phone just can’t zoom in and capture them well. I was going to buy some lenses for my phone but thought it’d be a better investment to buy lenses for my brothers camera and use that instead. What are some lenses you guys would recommend... preferably budget friendly but I know that stuff isn’t cheap. Thank you :)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lense choices at different price ranges which would all way better than a mobile phone camera. Focusing, metering ,sensor size are better than phone cameras, yet white balance, vibrant colors can be better from phone cameras I feel.
You need to make sure lense is compatible with the 3500 as I believe its not fully compatible with AFD and AI lenses, sa.e applies for a few non nikon lenses.
Like metering and autofocus won't work with those lenses so make sure to check compatibility before you buy.
The 18-50 3.5-5.6 thats typically comes with the camera is a good starting lense fir tank fish and coral shots. I typically advise to go with the tamron 17-50 2.8 which is way better glass and focuses closer, yet a bit more expensive.
50mm 1.8 or the more expensive 1.4 version would give very sharp fish shots as well as good closeups. Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro or the more expensive nikon 60mm 2.8 macro or the 105 2.8 are great choices.
Nikon 24-120 F4 is also a good focal length for tank shots and good quality glass.
24-70 2.8 nikon lense would be a great choice but price would be prohibitive, that is a lense id love to have.
18-200 3.5-5.6 is also a good choice.
Check what lenses your brother has and maybe try them and post some pictures maybe those would be enough for what you need.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lense choices at different price ranges which would all way better than a mobile phone camera. Focusing, metering ,sensor size are better than phone cameras, yet white balance, vibrant colors can be better from phone cameras I feel.
You need to make sure lense is compatible with the 3500 as I believe its not fully compatible with AFD and AI lenses, sa.e applies for a few non nikon lenses.
Like metering and autofocus won't work with those lenses so make sure to check compatibility before you buy.
The 18-50 3.5-5.6 thats typically comes with the camera is a good starting lense fir tank fish and coral shots. I typically advise to go with the tamron 17-50 2.8 which is way better glass and focuses closer, yet a bit more expensive.
50mm 1.8 or the more expensive 1.4 version would give very sharp fish shots as well as good closeups. Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro or the more expensive nikon 60mm 2.8 macro or the 105 2.8 are great choices.
Nikon 24-120 F4 is also a good focal length for tank shots and good quality glass.
24-70 2.8 nikon lense would be a great choice but price would be prohibitive, that is a lense id love to have.
18-200 3.5-5.6 is also a good choice.
Check what lenses your brother has and maybe try them and post some pictures maybe those would be enough for what you need.
Wow, thank you for all that info, I’ll definitely look into them! I know he does have some nice lenses that came with an upgraded pack, I’ll have to check them out. Won’t I need a orange-filter to take out the blues in the tank?

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this helps. I may be way off topic.

Attachments

• 4EAE14D7-2F53-49F3-BC8A-5128E10AAEFD.png
    4EAE14D7-2F53-49F3-BC8A-5128E10AAEFD.png
    555 KB · Views: 37

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thank you for all that info, I’ll definitely look into them! I know he does have some nice lenses that came with an upgraded pack, I’ll have to check them out. Won’t I need a orange-filter to take out the blues in the tank?
Shoot in raw and do the post (processing) yourself. Filters aren’t bad either, depending on the quality of the glass you are shooting with vs the quality of glass the filter is, don’t forget you are also shooting through the glass on your tank. That’s a lot of glass...

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound stupid but how is processing done. I know how to upload to my MacBook... do I need an app to do that? And is a tripod a good investment to get good shots?

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound stupid but how is processing done. I know how to upload to my MacBook... do I need an app to do that? And is a tripod a good investment to get good shots?
Yes, definitely pick up a tripod. A cheap one like a Targus should be fine for now. Although much like reef gear, you’ll prob want to upgrade for functionality eventually. Especially if you end up using your camera for more than just the tank.
As for post, Lightroom is a great and easy to use/learn program by Adobe. You can sign up monthly with their cloud program (which I recommend) or just buy whatever version they have now.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, definitely pick up a tripod. A cheap one like a Targus should be fine for now. Although much like reef gear, you’ll prob want to upgrade for functionality eventually. Especially if you end up using your camera for more than just the tank.
As for post, Lightroom is a great and easy to use/learn program by Adobe. You can sign up monthly with their cloud program (which I recommend) or just buy whatever version they have now.
Okay sweet. Thank you so much for the information.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Urr shooting under blue light an orange or Amber screw on filter on ur most used lense size is a good thing to have. U can also get step up or step down filter converters so u can attach the same filter to different size lenses

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back