Deep Tank Lighting

GoBlue923

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some suggestions for my reef tank. I have a 150g display tank (72” x 18” x 29.5”) that currently has 3 AI Hydra 32HD lights over it. The system is 2.5 years old. One of my lights now has a purple hue and isn’t as bright as the others. They are all paired and running the same light program. I’ve changed to several other preset programs but the one light still has an issue. This is disappointing as I expected to get more than 2.5 years out of the lights. These were the lights recommended at the time I bought the tank. It’s my first tank so I was new to reefing and took whatever they recommend. I have a few issues with these lights and have considered replacing them several times but never did. My first issue is with the depth of my tank I have to crank the blues to over 120% to get par at the bottom of the tank to sit around 100 to 140. I have a wide range of corals (LPS/SPS/softies) and place them according to lighting needs and flow requirements. The second issue is, and might be partially due to the high setting requirement it melts the lenses over time. This is a known issue that is exacerbated by saltwater splashing on them. Go figure they are designed for saltwater aquarium but yet have an issue that’s exacerbated by saltwater. I’ve replaced the lenses once. They are cheap and it’s easy but I look back at the first issue and now one of them has a color issue I think I’m ready to move on. Looking really at reefers that have deeper tanks, I’m tone between the Neptune Sky or Radion G6 XR30’s. I have all Neptune Apex equipment so the Sky’s would seamlessly integrate and now with the MXM modules I believe the Radions will as well. Radions are typically seen as THE top rated light in reefing however they are ~$120 more than the Sky’s. Looking at pros and cons from those that have deeper tanks and have run either or both of these lights. I’m hoping for the cost I get more than 2.5 years out of it. Thanks in advance. Money isn’t the issue but quality, reliability, and power are my main focus for my new lights. Obviously if I can save some money without sacrificing any of those focus items, even better.
IMG_3604.jpeg
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both solid choices so I dont think you can go wrong either way. I use Radions but I like the sleek look at the Skys too. My tank is 22 inches deep.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue that Reefbreeders Photon v2 is the best LED in reefing. The best coral growers that I know use them. Half the places that talk so much about Radions are getting paid to use them - ReefBreeders are not part of corporate umbrella of Aperture Brands like Ecotech, Neptune and AI so they don't get run in some places (like BRS which is also an Aperture brand) but they are awesome. They might not be for you, but I would take a look at them. Have a gander at what therman and battlecorals do with Photon v2.

Photon v2 seem long lived too... at least as long as any LED.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue that Reefbreeders Photon v2 is the best LED in reefing. The best coral growers that I know use them. Half the places that talk so much about Radions are getting paid to use them - they are not part of corporate umbrella of Aperture Brands like Ecotech, Neptune and AI so they don't get run in some places (like BRS which is also an Aperture brand) but they are awesome. They might not be for you, but I would take a look at them. Have a gander at what therman and battlecorals do with Photon v2.

Photon v2 seem long lived too... at least as long as any LED.
Another solid option

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back