Good macro lenses?

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Looking for a camera lens that can take good macro pics (zoas, and other small items/frags). Are either of these (attached pics) any good? Any other suggestions?

2. Also wondering why someone would want a fixed mm lens over a zoom lens? Do they take clearer pics somehow?

3. I will likely be using Photoshop Elements 2020 too unless someone has a better suggestion. I’d rather not pay a monthly fee doe regular photoshop unless uber helpful somehow.

Thanks!!

5CD146BE-07D8-46B7-94C8-076B2C4C9120.png
05F977A0-1689-4A7F-A31A-362BBF3C2D4D.png

EFlop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. What camera are you using? Hard to recommend a lens without knowing the camera body.
  2. Fixed lens means it’s a prime lens and can be cheaper than zoom lenses.
  3. Haven’t used photoshop elements before but I use Adobe Lightroom because I’m more familiar with it.

OP
OP
F

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. What camera are you using? Hard to recommend a lens without knowing the camera body.
  2. Fixed lens means it’s a prime lens and can be cheaper than zoom lenses.
  3. Haven’t used photoshop elements before but I use Adobe Lightroom because I’m more familiar with it.

1. I have a Nikon D3200.
2. Only benefit of a fixed/prime lens over a zoom lens is the cost?
3. Lightroom has a monthly cost, right?

thanks in advance for everyone’s help

EFlop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traditionally yes but not always. For example I have 2 macro lenses for my Sony A6500. Sony 50mm and a Sony 90mm, the key differences are that the 90mm will have greater optical zoom, optical image stabilization, better overall image clarity (less aberrations), and a faster autofocusing system (happens to be quieter too).

For shooting macro you should consider how far away you'll be from your subject. Will you be taking pictures of your coral right up against the glass? Personally I'd go for the Nikon 85mm Macro if you want autofocus. The MEKE 85mm is manual but I suppose you already know that lol.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just note that the Tamron is a variable aperture lens and a slow one at that, which explains the price. You can only get the fastest (widest) if you stay at 18mm. It then gets slower from there. You compensate by having a slower shutter speed, amongst other things, which presents other issues (like needing a tripod, noise, etc). If you can't up your budget, I'd stick w/ your cell phone w/ a clip on filter.

Edit. Also, your Nikon is a "DX" body. That means if you buy a full frame lens like the 2nd one, you will get a cropped image.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back