good news bad news

  • Thread starter Thread starter kynan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kynan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2013
Messages
190
Reaction score
81
Location
Surfside Beach
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the good news is I am all set with calcium reactor refills for some time. The bad news is it came at the expense of 98% of the contents of my well established frag tank. I had asked my son to keep an eye on the water level in the sump given my surgery. Seems that he would judge it by ear and not by eye. So when he didnot hear water splashing from the reef devil skimmer, he assumed the level was alright when it wasn't. Chris was over when we discovered this and the fact that the titanium tube heater was spent from exposure, not just black but had a small hole in it. Neither of us had seen that before. Quickly replaced it with a spare and all seemed good. Tank later found all cloudy and discovered that a maxi jet cord had been laying on the heater and it was burned through but still working! NOTE to self that I need to get that circuit on a gfci.

I couldn't tell if it was the electric shock or copper burning up that caused the dive. Had the kid load a sock with carbon and a couple of water changes. Everything is toast though except a couple of softies and cyphasteras. My dilemma now is whe the to dump the whole system, sand, rock,and all, and replace and cycle, or try and slowly reintroduce stuff. Think I am going to do the later as I am not in a position physically to do the do over. I put in some sacrificial pocci and Monti so we will see what happens.

I also for some reason had my copps blue tort colony just totally tank out of the blue. When it rain it pours. Time to hit divers den.
 
****, wow that sucks! I would be crying my eyes out if that happens to me next week when I'm away, sorry to hear that.
 
When you have been in the hobby a good while you realize it will always be a when vs. If in terms of catastrophe. Makes it easier to tolerate. I have had half tank crashes 2 before when halide bulbs got a fish splash crasking the US element with the bulb still burning. It is always something. It is annoying losing a grand or more in coral overnight though.
 
so sorry to hear, i would be happy to help ya out anytime, as ya know you're only 5 min away.
 
When you have been in the hobby a good while you realize it will always be a when vs. If in terms of catastrophe. Makes it easier to tolerate. I have had half tank crashes 2 before when halide bulbs got a fish splash crasking the US element with the bulb still burning. It is always something. It is annoying losing a grand or more in coral overnight though.

^^^...this I must remember.^^^

Sorry for your loss.
 
Wow, that sucks Kyle. Good luck getting it back up and running. Hopefully the back is healing well?
 
Sorry your tank crashed, but the important thing is that your back heals. There's nothing more important than your health. Now you can have fun buying more frags.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new