Good or Bad Bristle Worm?

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. I noticed a bunch of bristle worms that seemed to have appeared out of thin air, just like magic! I know there are "good" and "bad" bristle worms, but I don't know if the ones in my tank are the good ones or bad ones. I included a pic. Can somebody identify what are in my tank, so I know if I can leave them alone or if I need to figure out how to get rid of them. Any and all help are appreciated.
20231021_215828.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a typical bristleworm. All bristle worms are bad to touch. Fireworms are just the worst ones to touch

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, so no harm in keeping them in the tank?

They are pretty much in most tanks if I had to bet. You can get an arrow crab or something similar to eat them (coral banded shrimp I think eats them too), and get other things to compete with them for scraps (brittle/serpent stars, hermit crabs, nassarius snails). They usually stay very small if they can't get enough food.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would however, check that thing to the left of it that looks like a vermatid and kill it if it is.

OP
OP
V

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty much in most tanks if I had to bet. You can get an arrow crab or something similar to eat them (coral banded shrimp I think eats them too), and get other things to compete with them for scraps (brittle/serpent stars, hermit crabs, nassarius snails). They usually stay very small if they can't get enough food.
Great, thank you so much!

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I see them if I move rocks or anything I pull them out just in case. As long as you're not missing random fish and such I wouldn't worry too much about tearing into the tank and removing them tho.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back