Good Set up???????

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I got some good information from this forum not to long ago and I started to do some research.
Is this a convenient set up for a pair of a reidi erectus hybrid (I know I spelled that wrong)?
My LFS has been selling them for a while and they eat frozen foods very well.

Here are my thoughts:

Tank-
http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Lighting-...&qid=1455643720&sr=8-1&keywords=30+gallon+JBJ

Skimmer-
http://www.amazon.com/AquaMaxx-HOB-...F8&qid=1455643767&sr=8-3&keywords=hob+skimmer

Heater- (I know to keep it at about 75 degrees)
http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquati...d=1455643797&sr=1-23&keywords=aquarium+heater

Light-
http://www.amazon.com/Kessil-A160WE...8&qid=1455643847&sr=1-2&keywords=kessil+light

ATO- (maybe)
http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua...Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12117-FIDPAT-vi.html

Any other suggestions would be great!!!!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Baby Ray, yes that all looks good for reidi or erectus or a hybrid of the 2. In regards to the heater I don't use one at all. Those species do best in water temperatures of 70-74°. As soon as the temp hits 75°, dangerous bacteria begin to reproduce exponentially. Since bacteria is a seahorses biggest enemy, it is the keepers biggest challenge. For that reason I don't use filter socks or filter pads that can trap detritus and fuel nasty bacteria. If you use those change or wash them out every 3 days. Also I wipe all the glass, (including the back wall) once a week and baste the rockwork once every 2 weeks to again make sure detritus is not creating a bed of nastie bacteria. Take my word for it, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Once they get a bacterial infection it takes a long time to remedy if even a remedy is possible.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Baby Ray, yes that all looks good for reidi or erectus or a hybrid of the 2. In regards to the heater I don't use one at all. Those species do best in water temperatures of 70-74°. As soon as the temp hits 75°, dangerous bacteria begin to reproduce exponentially. Since bacteria is a seahorses biggest enemy, it is the keepers biggest challenge. For that reason I don't use filter socks or filter pads that can trap detritus and fuel nasty bacteria. If you use those change or wash them out every 3 days. Also I wipe all the glass, (including the back wall) once a week and baste the rockwork once every 2 weeks to again make sure detritus is not creating a bed of nastie bacteria. Take my word for it, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Once they get a bacterial infection it takes a long time to remedy if even a remedy is possible.

I have a few more question if that is ok;)

Would it be good to siphon the detritus out of the tank?
How would I go on slowing the current from the return nozzle?
Do I need a powerhead?
With water changes: how much and how often?

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, here are some tank mates that I am trying to decide on. What do you think?
1. Mandarin (eats frozen foods)
2. Snails
3. Soft corals
4. Maybe some LPS with small to no tentacles
5. Maybe another fish (goby)

What would be a good CUC other than snails?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few more question if that is ok;)

Would it be good to siphon the detritus out of the tank?
How would I go on slowing the current from the return nozzle?
Do I need a powerhead?
With water changes: how much and how often?
Wow, you have good questions! I will try to answer them all. Yes, if you have a sandbed it is good to syphon the detritus out of it occasionally. I don't do it often because my sandbed is less than an inch and I stir it weekly. Since I have small rio powerheads strategically placed to keep particles in suspension that helps remove detritus in my sand.
If your return pump is pumping too much flow you could split the line near the top into 2 returns? Are you worried the seahorses will be blown into rockwork or something? That should be considered but they can take much more flow than what was once thought. In fact a seahorse tank should have a minimum of 10Xs turnover into the sump and more flow can be added in the display tank with powerheads, (just make sure no pony tails can be injured by impellors).
Different seahorse keepers I have conversed with do around 25% water change a week.
Your livestock lists looks ok. Just remember if a supposedly docile fish gets bullyish, its best to rehome it for the seahorse's sake. If they get stressed then they succumb to infections. Some folks don't risk putting fish with their ponies. Another caution about adding fish is the spread of disease. If your seahorses are captive bred then they do not have immunity against pathogens that wild caught fish have. That means you should QT any fish and treat any fish that is not aquacultured. I personally have 1 royal gramma with my pair. As far as cuc, I have peppermint shrimp, nassarius snails, bee snails and 1 atlantic cucumber. If the peppermint shrimp are small they can end up being an expensive meal for the ponies, LOL. I have 5-6 monsterous peppermints and I know they spawn making some live food for the seahorses.

I hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask anything else if you think of it.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Super helpful:)
I do have a few more questions though:p
1. Could I get a sand sifter star as a CUC?
2. What about cleaner shrimp?
3. What should I use to cover up the power head?
Sorry for all the questions.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. What should I use to cover up the power head?
Sorry for all the questions.
I have heard that sand sifter starfish have very little chance of living in an aquarium long term so I have never owned one. Cleaner shrimp can get so excited about cleaning on the seahorse's skin that they become pesky and can stress the ponies, so they are not a good choice either although some people do it. I had tried covering my koralias with the plastic mesh that fruit come in. It works but needs to be constantly toothbrushed off as it traps all sorts of stuff. Don't be sorry for the questions...you are doing the right thing by learning about the seahorses before you get them.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby Ray, my tank is being featured as the monthly profile this month on nano-reef.com. I wrote my article specifically to encourage new prospective seahorse keepers. It gives pretty much a good over view of all aspects of seahorse keeping if you want to check it out.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby Ray, my tank is being featured as the monthly profile this month on nano-reef.com. I wrote my article specifically to encourage new prospective seahorse keepers. It gives pretty much a good over view of all aspects of seahorse keeping if you want to check it out.

Thanks for telling me about it. I will defiantly check it out :)
You have been a huge help so far;)

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to bother you but I just wanted to thank you (again ;))
I read some of your journal on nano-reef and I heard a lot about a clam.
Did you keep one with your horses?
Are there any shrimp other than peppermint shrimp that would be a good clean up crew and not bother the horses?
Are there any other things you might suggested to a newbie ponnie keeper?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother you but I just wanted to thank you (again ;))
I read some of your journal on nano-reef and I heard a lot about a clam.
Did you keep one with your horses?
Are there any shrimp other than peppermint shrimp that would be a good clean up crew and not bother the horses?
Are there any other things you might suggested to a newbie ponnie keeper?
Good evening Baby Ray. No I never kept the clam with the seahorses. Originally the 36 gallon that the seahorses are in now used to be a reef tank. I loved the clam, a midas blenny, a hand raised clownfish, RBTA, some nice hammers and frogspawn. The seahorses were in a 30g XH tank connected to the same sump. Unfortunately the seahorse tank was not getting enough filtration so I sold the clam and other non safe seahorse coral and fish. I really liked the 36g tank better so I moved the seahorses into it. From what I have read a clam can close on a seahorse and both animals will perish.

I am not aware of any other shrimp other than peppermint shrimp that are seahorse safe. Seahorse.org has a list that ranks different animals and inverts on a scale of 1 thru 4 regarding how safe they are with seahorses. That might be worth checking out.

My one piece of advise is plan the tank so filtration is overkill. An oversized filter and protein skimmer are worth spending the extra money on. My 2nd piece of advise is be diligent with tank maintenance. Some aquarium animals can do alright with lapses with keeping up with the aquarium but seahorses can not. Set your self a schedule and stick to it.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening Baby Ray. No I never kept the clam with the seahorses. Originally the 36 gallon that the seahorses are in now used to be a reef tank. I loved the clam, a midas blenny, a hand raised clownfish, RBTA, some nice hammers and frogspawn. The seahorses were in a 30g XH tank connected to the same sump. Unfortunately the seahorse tank was not getting enough filtration so I sold the clam and other non safe seahorse coral and fish. I really liked the 36g tank better so I moved the seahorses into it. From what I have read a clam can close on a seahorse and both animals will perish.

I am not aware of any other shrimp other than peppermint shrimp that are seahorse safe. Seahorse.org has a list that ranks different animals and inverts on a scale of 1 thru 4 regarding how safe they are with seahorses. That might be worth checking out.

My one piece of advise is plan the tank so filtration is overkill. An oversized filter and protein skimmer are worth spending the extra money on. My 2nd piece of advise is be diligent with tank maintenance. Some aquarium animals can do alright with lapses with keeping up with the aquarium but seahorses can not. Set your self a schedule and stick to it.

Thanks for the response :)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work but more would be better. I use an SCA 302 which skims great. Unfortunately the pumps are not great and I have already replaced mine once.
You can compensate for lack of skimming power with water changes. Although usually sooner or later it will catch up to you.
I woke up this morning to find both my ponies with bacterial infections, which is a sign to me that my husbandry was inadequate. I need to step up my maintenance.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work but more would be better. I use an SCA 302 which skims great. Unfortunately the pumps are not great and I have already replaced mine once.
You can compensate for lack of skimming power with water changes. Although usually sooner or later it will catch up to you.
I woke up this morning to find both my ponies with bacterial infections, which is a sign to me that my husbandry was inadequate. I need to step up my maintenance.

Thanks for the reply

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. What should I use to cover up the power head?.

@vlangel already gave some great answers. I'm still relatively new to seahorses but have some good information on these three questions.

1. I've found that my fighting conch is hardy, peaceful, and keeps my DSB of 4~ inches consistently stirred. I've also heard that sand sifter stars don't last long.
2. In addition to a pair of peppermint shrimp, I keep mysid shrimp (Americamysis bahia) in my display. They're very small and are cannibals but with enough hiding spots they breed often enough to supplement my seahorse feedings.
3. VorTech makes foam powerhead covers specifically for their models that are flexible and would likely fit most powerheads. Like the pumps themselves, they're a little pricey ($12~) but sold in 3 packs for switching in and out for cleaning. I'm sure you could easily make a few DIY covers from a thin foam sponge material like from a cheap paint brush.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you observe that made you conclude this?
My tank has been established since 2012 and some of the rock and coral have been in a prior tank since 2004. As a result this tank has a very mature biofiltet and I found some sort of creature makes spikey homes on my coco worm tubes that I had as hitches near the ponies' food bowl. The ponies were getting puncture wounds on their tails from the spikes. Now I keep an eye on that and keep the coco worm tube sanded down.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel already gave some great answers. I'm still relatively new to seahorses but have some good information on these three questions.

1. I've found that my fighting conch is hardy, peaceful, and keeps my DSB of 4~ inches consistently stirred. I've also heard that sand sifter stars don't last long.
2. In addition to a pair of peppermint shrimp, I keep mysid shrimp (Americamysis bahia) in my display. They're very small and are cannibals but with enough hiding spots they breed often enough to supplement my seahorse feedings.
3. VorTech makes foam powerhead covers specifically for their models that are flexible and would likely fit most powerheads. Like the pumps themselves, they're a little pricey ($12~) but sold in 3 packs for switching in and out for cleaning. I'm sure you could easily make a few DIY covers from a thin foam sponge material like from a cheap paint brush.
I also use peppermint shrimp in my seahorse tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back