Goodtimes with a Reefer 750XXL - $20k Dreamtank

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to this! It was a fun 3 years, I was hoping for many more.
reach out to Red sea support I just got my 650P replaced as bubbles started to forum. they where really nice to work with so much so I bought the new 300Xl G2 to add to my RS line up.
I bet they will replace it with a G2 if it's still under warranty.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did install the brace they sent. Prior to that I had air pockets or bubbles in the seam a few inches away from where it leaked. RedSea said this was not part of the seal that would cause a leak and not too worry about it. It’s not fun to deal with but things happen.
Truly sorry. They told me exactly the same thing on my 750. I have two air bubbles in the same vicinity and they said not to worry as that’s not what they have seen as being an issue. They did tell me to keep measuring them to see if they get bigger though, which they haven’t since I installed the brace. The bubbles on mine are about two inches to the right of the retrofit brace. Your ordeal makes me more than a little nervous. All the leaks seem to be in the exact place as yours. I hope this doesn’t make you give up the hobby! Best of luck. I think I’m going to contact RS again to refresh their memory of my concern with the bubbles in my seam as I think I’m a approaching the end of their warranty!

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made reality set in hardcore i am so sorry for whats happened i hope things get replaced from red sea and that insurance helps dont sleep on em keep in that a** about it i really hope things get taken care of i would be devastated. I couldnt even imagine what your going through....

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly sorry. They told me exactly the same thing on my 750. I have two air bubbles in the same vicinity and they said not to worry as that’s not what they have seen as being an issue. They did tell me to keep measuring them to see if they get bigger though, which they haven’t since I installed the brace. The bubbles on mine are about two inches to the right of the retrofit brace. Your ordeal makes me more than a little nervous. All the leaks seem to be in the exact place as yours. I hope this doesn’t make you give up the hobby! Best of luck. I think I’m going to contact RS again to refresh their memory of my concern with the bubbles in my seam as I think I’m a approaching the end of their warranty!
The original bubbles were about two inches left of the brace looking at it. It split about middle of the tank. There’s actually about 10” of the seam opened but all the water came out that one spot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 104

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original bubbles were about two inches left of the brace looking at it. It split about middle of the tank. There’s actually about 10” of the seam opened but all the water came out that one spot.
Whaaaa?! How could they not replace the tank after seeing those air bubbles!?! Hopefully they work with you and maybe allow you to get a smaller system of theirs that are less prone to this issue.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whaaaa?! How could they not replace the tank after seeing those air bubbles!?! Hopefully they work with you and maybe allow you to get a smaller system of theirs that are less prone to this issue.
Sorry, those weren’t the original bubbles I was concerned with. Those are the ones that I just noticed when the tank was leaking.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, those weren’t the original bubbles I was concerned with. Those are the ones that I just noticed when the tank was leaking.
Either way the photo shows it was an issue with the seam/silicon so definitely not your fault. I’m sure you have a million other things on your mind now but hopefully things get back on track asap!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost most of my useable vision so I’m not able to see your pictures. Thank you for being so descriptive as that helps me visualize your disaster. It sounds pretty familiar. My bubbles are on the very bottom, dry side of the seam. The longest was just shy of three inches long but was only about 1/8” in depth. I was told by RS that most of the failures they’ve seen the bubbles started on the wet side. However, when I could see and when this issue was all over the forum back in 2019/2020 all the pics looked like the wet side bubbles were much narrower than they were at the bottom dry side. I feel for you! I don’t think anyone has posted a problem in the original 750xxl leak thread for a very long time. If I could see well enough I would post your issue in that thread but I can’t do it. Maybe someone here would be nice enough to add it there as a lot of 750 peeps are watching. I’m not asking you to do it……you have a lot on your hands right now! The bright side to this is that if you ever thought you should have done something different with your setup you now have the perfect opportunity to do so. Again, very sorry these things do happen but they shouldn’t happen so soon,

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news and bad news:
Good news is RedSea is going to replace the tank. Bad news is I’ll be pretty much starting over. 8 out of 12 fish died yesterday, I’m not sure if it was stress, temperature fluctuation or what. I ended up emptying the sump and putting the fish and coral in it. I was only able to fit a small amount of rock in the sump so the rest will need cycled again. The floors will need replaced before I can place a new tank so it’ll be awhile anyways.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news and bad news:
Good news is RedSea is going to replace the tank. Bad news is I’ll be pretty much starting over. 8 out of 12 fish died yesterday, I’m not sure if it was stress, temperature fluctuation or what. I ended up emptying the sump and putting the fish and coral in it. I was only able to fit a small amount of rock in the sump so the rest will need cycled again. The floors will need replaced before I can place a new tank so it’ll be awhile anyways.
Well, good and bad news. Sounds like you’re taking this extremely well! Good luck and we’ll wait for v2.0 updates in the future.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good and bad news. Sounds like you’re taking this extremely well! Good luck and we’ll wait for v2.0 updates in the future.
This is the journey of reef keeping. I’ve had rodi overflows, lights catch on fire, heaters cause electrocution, kalk overdoses, velvet and now a tank leak. But I can’t wait to start again. Losing fish bothers me though, I get attached to them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back