GoodVybes

GoodVybes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Lid

In March 2020, I bought two 2x2 black egg crate squares, cut them to size using a pair of side-snip pliers, and installed them as a quick and easy way to help prevent fish from jumping out.

IMG_1044.JPG

What I found out very quickly is the egg crate seems to block a lot of light. I didn't have any way to measure except for my eyeballs, but I wasn't happy. Plus, the egg crate caused the algae to grow in a grid pattern across the front of my glass! :oops: I then saw a simple solution on another person's tank that I thought I'd try, even if it made the lid a little less secure. Basically, I just cut out a decent sized section of the lid under the lights.

IMG_1242.JPG

So far, so good. Obviously it's not foolproof, but we'll see how it goes. It should help protect the edges. I don't have many jumpers in the tank and the water line sits about 1.5" below the lid.

OP
OP
GoodVybes

GoodVybes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish

Jan 19, 2020 - After a fishless cycle using Fritz Turbo Start and AquaVitro's Seed, I added two Wyoming White Clowns to the tank. One was a bit of a runt and unfortunately didn't make it through the week. Cause of death was unknown.

IMG_0959.JPG

Feb 2, 2020 - Replaced the clown with another from the same LFS. Also purchased a Yellow Tang and Lawnmower Blenny and put them in a 20g QT tank for observation. Ended up treating the QT with Spectrogram and API General Cure as the Blenny showed what appeared to be wounds which I think came from the Tang and I wanted to treat for flukes. On Mar 2, 2020, both were moved to the DT.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

June 1, 2020 - After putting the tang and blenny through QT, I decided to let the pros handle the next batch of fish. In early March, I contacted Jeff at Fishotel.com and he was able to find a Tomini Tang and Sixline Wrasse for me. Jeff specializes in putting fish through a thorough quarantine process before shipping out, and I highly recommend checking out his site. Unfortunately for the world, COVID hit and the tang and wrasse had to have an extended stay at the Hotel until it was safe to ship overnight again. But in the end, they made it safe and sound, and I picked up a Yellow Watchman Goby that had spent some time with Jeff as well.

IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back