Gorgonia Ventalina is doing OK.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Wanting a seafan, I decided on the Gorgonia Ventalina. I have seen plenty of these in various tanks well glued into place and dead so I purchased it thinking it would be a nice piece until it denuded and died.

Several months later it's doing OK. Great polyp extension, for a Ventalina, and the dead tips that I trimmed away have recovered and are VERY slowly growing.

Mine is only purple if I smack my head really hard and see colors that are not there... it's gray with beige polyps.

It seems to require no special attention whatsoever except for a constant current. Mine is angled about 20 degrees from parallel to the current instead of the usual perpendicular orientation. It seems to allow less trapping of flow inhibiting detritus. I gently rub off the "stuff" that does accumulate on the tips with my fingers as necessary.

I'm really surprised that it's living and growing. The hardest part for me now is finding an appropriate placement that looks natural. I am going to attempt to glue it into place permanently now where it won't hide other specimens. I will snap a photo when/if I get it right. The attached photo is still temporary placement.
IMG_20190309_165117.jpg

The point of this? Don't be timid to give a Ventalina a try if you have the desire and place. I'm experienced in aquariums but I'm certainly not an expert. If I can keep it alive so can you.

Mark
The Brutal Reefer

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
Hi,
Wanting a seafan, I decided on the Gorgonia Ventalina. I have seen plenty of these in various tanks well glued into place and dead so I purchased it thinking it would be a nice piece until it denuded and died.

Several months later it's doing OK. Great polyp extension, for a Ventalina, and the dead tips that I trimmed away have recovered and are VERY slowly growing.

Mine is only purple if I smack my head really hard and see colors that are not there... it's gray with beige polyps.

It seems to require no special attention whatsoever except for a constant current. Mine is angled about 20 degrees from parallel to the current instead of the usual perpendicular orientation. It seems to allow less trapping of flow inhibiting detritus. I gently rub off the "stuff" that does accumulate on the tips with my fingers as necessary.

I'm really surprised that it's living and growing. The hardest part for me now is finding an appropriate placement that looks natural. I am going to attempt to glue it into place permanently now where it won't hide other specimens. I will snap a photo when/if I get it right. The attached photo is still temporary placement.
IMG_20190309_165117.jpg

The point of this? Don't be timid to give a Ventalina a try if you have the desire and place. I'm experienced in aquariums but I'm certainly not an expert. If I can keep it alive so can you.

Mark
The Brutal Reefer
Never seen them thru my vendors. But, I'd love to have some. Also this is first time I've seen one in a tank. Beautiful, comrade
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Mark Novack

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It makes me wonder what a purely Caribbean themed tank could look like with just gorgonia and small outcroppings of rock. However, that would require many fans and yes, they are not often available. Fragging one would present a very long wait to establish that Caribbean flat seabed look.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very nice specimen! At the risk of repeating just about every post in this thread, you are very lucky to have one. :D

Dward

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to buy a Gorgonia ventalina.
Any idea where I can purchase one?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back