Gorgonian coral

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have been working on a nano tank for six years now and my tank has been through so many highs and lows. I finally within the last year got everything to be stable and start growing coral again. I really want to grow some gorgonian coral. The tank is a 15 gallon, 24W white and 24W antenic blue fluorescents. Any tips or suggestions?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening, hope things are good.

I saw you were you working on a seahorse tank but not sure if anyone has said #WelcimetoR2R yet.

It sounds like you tank is established, but here are the tips I would give first.

Try to get aquacultured first. It is not a guarantee it will be easier, but should help. It will need a place in the tank mid to bottom to anchor or epoxy the base to, away from other coral. Most type need at minimum medium to strong flow without hurting the other corals. Lighting is usually medium, depends on the gorg. Most all need some type of feeding daily with things like photo, marine snow, reef road, etc.

It would be like other coral you collect. Once you pick the one you like just research where to put it and care for it. I will say I have found them to be challenging long term due to feedings

hope it helps :)

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I decided against the seahorse tank because of the more work it requires. So now I have an empty nano tank. (open to suggestions). The gorgonian coral was for my long established tank. Again thanks for the help!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonias are almost always large corals. They need lots of room and a 15g will not hold any for too long. However, if you get small frags, you can try to keep them trimmed.
They also are very clever with chemical warfare. They can beat most corals.
Grubes is aquacultured one that is easy and plays well with other corals. Good choice. It is pretty too.
They will need some foods (coral or gorg food) and lots of flow. They shed too.
Carbon is almost a must with these guys too.
I ran around16 species of gorgs in my 210g for years. Good luck!

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I am planning on fragging it when it starts to grow to big and selling the pieces to my lfs. It’s only a softies tank anyways so I think most of the coral I have in there already will be fine. But correct me me if I’m wrong.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the photosynthetic gorgonians are easy to care for and grow very fast. I love them because they branch like SPS and sway like softies. Fragging is also very easy, just a snip with a scissors and glue them to a plug.
I don’t know species/genus names but if it’s brightly colored like yellow, blue or red, it’s probably non-photosynthetic and require specialized systems. Pink, brown or purple and it’s likely photosynthetic.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting yellow/green sea whip. Any info on it? From what I researched they are not aggressive and easily fragged like you said.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s also photosynthetic but some say to feed it once a week. I think when I give my clowns some frozen brine the gorg will filter the tiny pieces out of the tank.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds similar to other gorgonians based on what I could find. They like a lot of flow and can tolerate a lot of light. they are not the best at shedding algae and stuff growing on them, so if you see brown 'dust' on their skin, they need more flow.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the info. I’ll post the pics on this thread when they arrive.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered on more opinion I want. I want to redesign my aquascape before the new coral arrives. I will post a pic of the tank and y’all could give me so ideas.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this little frag of a blueberry gorgonian last night.

2020-04-14-21-22-45-436~2.jpg

I can't wait until it grows in. They are gorgeous. And they are photosynthetic too.

large.gallery_73767_4_378373.jpg.eb25a150a0822653718d24ec16e04451.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back